4 Replies Latest reply on Aug 18, 2010 9:55 AM by jmac

Reporting User Configuration in LDMS9

Expert

I am trying to set up a user role in LDMS9 specifically for a reporting user that will not have any additional right other than to the reporting console. I have it working in all respects using the default roles with the exception of 1. When I run a report, no data is returned?!?! What level of permissions do I need to give the role to get data to return?

• 1. Re: Reporting User Configuration in LDMS9
          Employee

Hi,

Please check the machine scope you assigned to this user and also check the report query condition. It is possible that the report result shows machines out of this console user scope or the report query result is blank.

• 2. Re: Reporting User Configuration in LDMS9
            Expert

There is no option to set a scope for the built in reporting roles. Set up an authentication to use active directory, create a "group permissions" with only the built in reporting roles and associate it to the authentication. Then log in to the reporting console and run a query. That you can log in to the console and run the query indicates that everything is set up properly with the exception of access to the data which I assume is a permissions problem.

• 3. Re: Reporting User Configuration in LDMS9
              Expert

Additional note, don't add the user to the LANDesk Management Suite or any of the other local groups on the core. Just use the AD authentication.

• 4. Re: Reporting User Configuration in LDMS9
                Expert

Thanks to Aaron, I have figured out how to get this to work for Active Directory user based authentication.

1. The Active Directory User/Group must be added to the LANDesk Management Suite group on the core server.
                2. An Active Directory authentication needs to be created.
                3. A Role needs to be created and associated to a Device Scope as well as a minimum of View to at least 1 option. (For this I chose the Basic Web Console)
                4. Create a Group Permission and associate it to:
                  1. the Role created in step 3
                  2. the built in ReportingDesigner and/or ReportingViewer
                  3. Switch to Active Directory authentication and then select the appropriate group from active directory (the group from step 1).
                5. Right click on the new Group Permission and select Synchronize users.
                6. At login to the LANDesk console, have the user change the authentication to Active Directory and log in.
                7. The user should then be able to open Reporting, run a report and have data return.