5 Replies Latest reply on Mar 24, 2008 4:39 AM by Ian

Best way to monitor free disk space on specific machines

Apprentice

Hi!

We recently implemented LDMS in our environment. One thing I want to do

now is to monitor the free disk space on our servers.

So when the free disk space on a server on any partition gets below

5 GB I want to receive a warning mail.

It would be really great if somebody could advice me on how to realize this.

Thanks in advance.

vzovko

• 1. Re: Best way to monitor free disk space on specific machines
          SupportEmployee

As of now (LDMS 8.7), the best way to do this is by installing the Server Manager agent. It allows you to create rulesets and actions that can do just that. That will change a little bit with LDMS 8.8 in that even the standard agent will allow you to do this. Stay tuned...

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Best way to monitor free disk space on specific machines
            Apprentice

Hi and thanks for you quick reply!

The Server Manager agent does not seam to be part of the LDMS or am I wrong? We've only licensed LDMS and the Patch Manager.

Is there an alternative way to set up monitoring?

I'm looking forward to 8.8!   

• 3. Re: Best way to monitor free disk space on specific machines
              LANDave SupportEmployee

You are correct that Server Manager requires a seperate license.

You could create a query along the lines of "computer"."Mass Stroage"."Logical Drive"."Available Storage" < "(amount you want to query for)".

Then you could review the query regularly for any computers that have fallen under that threshhold.  However, this will not proactively alert you when it reaches this size.

• 4. Re: Best way to monitor free disk space on specific machines
                Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

It could somewhat proactively report this...

You can create a Report based on a query and have the report published and emailed to people automatically as a scheduled task.

There is not a better way to get management in a company to act on information from IT than if they are CCed on a nice pretty PDF report that indicates a problem...in this case, computers that are about to crash or slow extremely due to lack of disk space.

• 5. Re: Best way to monitor free disk space on specific machines
                  ProServices

Hi,

If you are monitoring servers, then you should consider purchasing licenses for Server Manager. This will have the real time monitoring options that you are looking for. Alternativly, add the free disk space to inventory history, and after a while export the data to excel and look for trends, with luck you should be able to see how quickly disk space is filling over time, and draw some conclusions about how long befor it gets critical.