3 Replies Latest reply on Aug 26, 2010 2:14 AM by JulianWigman

Process Connections

Apprentice

Hi,

I am experimenting with the possibilities of what I can do with my Change process. I would like to be able to ensure that some fields have and entry before the change is verified. In this instance, I would like a field 'Folder Path' to be filled in by an analyst, but only in the event that the change is a particular change category. With this in mind, I don't want to make the field mandatory as it only needs to be filled in if the change category is 'Folder Permissions'.

I have set it up as in the attached image in process designer. I have had to use a fake assignment, which assigns the change to the current group and assignee, as you cannot move from a precondition to a descision directly (or from a precondition to a status). But when I test this, the assignment comes up as an action option rather than happening automatically. Furthermore, when I save and close the assignment window, the process is not moved on.

Can anyone help me with this?

Regards,

Oliver

• 1. Re: Process Connections
          JulianWigman Expert

Oliver

Taking your second point first, looking at your process the design is breaking a design rule in that you cant have two preconditions in a row to move you automatically across 2 statuses ("Authorised" --> "Authorised3" path);  there's a thread somewhere in the community about this limitation.  It's a purposely added designer condition to stop potential endless loops at execution time.  Only way around that is to redesign your process.

On the first point,  you dont say what ITBM version you are on but if it's 7.3 or later you could create a calculated condition that checks each of the fields you want to monitor and returning true/false on which you can branch on in the process.  I use these in my process to do complex branching of the sort you are trying to do too.

Julian

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Process Connections
            Apprentice

Thanks Julian,

I'm currently on 7.2.6 but we should be upgrading soon. It looks like calculations will be the way to go then.

I would be interested to read the thread anyway though as its never made sense to me why you cannot use certain connections. Have you any idea what the title of the thread was?

Many thanks,

Oliver

• 3. Re: Process Connections
              JulianWigman Expert

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-3709

When you break this rule you see the Automatic action appear in the Actions Panel as per your observations.

Regards

Julian