1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jun 24, 2009 9:35 AM by cnelson

"exclusive semaphores" error message

dynamozappa Apprentice

Hello Fellow Landesk Users,

I hope someone has an answer for me as this problem has rendered LANDesk Software Distribution all but useless. We have management suite 8.7 installed on our core. I have recently installed SP4 on the core and on our clients. Here is the issue:

When I try to create a simple single file (.exe) distribution task, using  the Push delivery method, the task fails and the error message is "cannot request exclusive semaphores at interrupt time." The error code is: -2147024792 (0x80070068 - code 104). I have tried re-installing the agent, and rebooting the core but nothing. 

I don't know if this is a machine specific problem (it has happened on three different types of machines) or a core problem. 

Any help would be appreciated.

thanks.

jeff

• 1. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
          LANDave SupportEmployee

Jeff,

Make sure that your Scheduler service is set to use an account with Domain Admin rights.

Also make sure that Domain Computers and Users have rights to the package share.

It is also possible that some of the systems have a domain membership problem.   If the above steps don't work, remove the computers from the domain and rejoin them.

• 2. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
            dynamozappa Apprentice

Hey LANDave,

Thanks for the response and your help. I think I am narrowing down the problem. As you suggested. I added our domain computers group (we have AD) to our software share that I am distributing from on the network.  And after I did that, I was able to push out a .msi file with no problem. But I still cannot push out a .exe file. I am getting the same error. And the .msi and exe are on the same share. It has got to be the share because I put the .exe file directly on the core and it worked. What am I doing wrong?  

It just seems to be with the "push distribution method." When I choose "multicast" it copies the file to the local machine just fine. The login account i am using for the scheduler is a domain admin account that has admin rights to every computer on the domain.

Thanks again for the help.

jeff

• 3. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
              LANDave SupportEmployee

So if it works when you distribute it from the core, and you are sure it is a share issue, I would compare the two shares.   Compare the share on the core, and compare the share that you are trying to distribute from.

Also, are you using a UNC share?   If so, perhaps try changing to using an HTTP share, I usually see better performance and results from HTTP shares.

• 4. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                dynamozappa Apprentice

Ok, So I know it has been a couple of weeks since I responded last. Thanks again for the help LANDave. It seems as though distributing a .msi from our UNC share works just fine. I am only getting the semaphores error when trying to distribute a .exe file. I am still working on trying to get a web share set up as you suggested though.

Any idea why a .msi would work but not a .exe file? Thanks again.

jeff 

• 5. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                  phoffmann SupportEmployee

The only reason that comes to mind is that there's something strange in either the EXE's path or file-name (special characters?) or that it's hitting some other limit (such as the 255 character limit - depending on where it's hosted).

There's a possibility to enable debug-information for LDDWNLD (the part of LANDesk that tries to download stuff), but it's usually best to then open a proper support ticket with LANDesk so that we can try to help out.

There are no MIME-types on UNC shares, so there's really no reason why "file A" should download fine but "file B" should not - shy of NTFS-permission issues. You can check on those usually via the use of Filemon (which you can get from Microsoft's pages).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 6. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                    dynamozappa Apprentice

Hey Paul,

thanks for the response. Now that you mention it, our software repository is a hidden share so there is a "$" in the UNC path. Do you think that is what the issue is?  I counted the charaters and it was not more than 150 characters. 

thanks.

jeff

• 7. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                      phoffmann SupportEmployee

Yep - I'd say so.

Try without a $-share, and lock it down through other methods (your ESP should be able to help you here).

That would be a pretty good chance at what's causing you the grief (and would make logical sense to me).

A quick test on something like a "Server\TestShare\" should confirm this pretty fast. But yeah, to me that's got a very good chance of "being it" :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 8. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                        JSMCPN Expert

I haven't seen any difference in behavior with a "$" in the sharename.

I also get the "cannot request exclusive semaphores at interrupt time" message with almost any EXE being run from source.

Office 2007 is my main problem right now, the only way I can get it to install is to pack the whole installer source into a 750MB WinRAR SFX and launch setup from a batch file.  This is really lame because I lose the ability to use the O2K7 "UPDATES" directory, and also the whole EXE has to be copied to SDMCACHE and virus scanned during download, then during self-extract, and then again during SETUP.

I have tried running it from a share without a "$" and it makes no difference.  Run From Source on an EXE almost always causes the semaphores error.

I am fairly convinced problem is with the LANDesk Run From Source delivery method, I have always gotten really sporadic results from that method.  If I open a Command Prompt as LOCALSYSTEM and run the same command line as my Distribution Package, it works just fine.

Here's a log of several different attempts at RunFromSource'ing SETUP.EXE from the server share.  Yes, share permissions are EVERYONE and DOMAIN COMPUTERS, and NTFS permissions are also correct.  (THE HTTP://
                        SERVER is just this Forum's software funk, it's not present in the actual log file)

Processing package : Office 2007 SP1 RunFromSource
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:55:35 File (\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe) is not in cache
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:55:36 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:55:36 PackagePath:      [http://\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe|http://\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe]
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:55:36 Processing generic executable
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:55:36 Launched application '\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe' ('/adminfile O2K7_BVSD.msp /config ProPlus.WW\config.xml') result 104
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:55:36 Installation result 80070068
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:55:36 processing of package is complete, result -2147024792 (0x80070068 - code 104)

Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:56:45 File (\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe) is not in cache
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:56:46 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:56:46 PackagePath:      [http://\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe|http://\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe]
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:56:46 Processing generic executable
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:56:46 Launched application '\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe' ('/adminfile O2K7_BVSD.msp /config ProPlus.WW\config.xml') result 104
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:56:46 Installation result 80070068
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 09:56:46 processing of package is complete, result -2147024792 (0x80070068 - code 104)

Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:03:09 File (\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe) is not in cache
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:03:09 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:03:09 PackagePath:      [http://\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe|http://\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe]
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:03:09 Processing generic executable
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:03:09 Launched application '\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe' ('/adminfile O2K7_BVSD.msp /config ProPlus.WW\config.xml') result 104
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:03:09 Installation result 80070068
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:03:09 processing of package is complete, result -2147024792 (0x80070068 - code 104)

Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:04:04 File (\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe) is not in cache
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:04:04 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:04:04 PackagePath:      [http://\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe|http://\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe]
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:04:04 Processing generic executable
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:04:04 Launched application '\\server\packages$\installers\Office2007\setup.exe' ('') result 104
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:04:04 Installation result 80070068
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:04:04 processing of package is complete, result -2147024792 (0x80070068 - code 104)

Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:06:01 File (\\server\office2007$\setup.exe) is not in cache
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:06:01 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:06:01 PackagePath:      [http://\\server\office2007$\setup.exe|http://\\server\office2007$\setup.exe]
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:06:01 Processing generic executable
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:06:01 Launched application '\\server\office2007$\setup.exe' ('') result 104
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:06:01 Installation result 80070068
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:06:01 processing of package is complete, result -2147024792 (0x80070068 - code 104)

Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:07:17 File (\\server\office2007\setup.exe) is not in cache
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:07:17 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:07:17 PackagePath:      [http://\\server\office2007\setup.exe|http://\\server\office2007\setup.exe]
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:07:17 Processing generic executable
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:07:17 Launched application '\\server\office2007\setup.exe' ('') result 104
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:07:17 Installation result 80070068
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:07:17 processing of package is complete, result -2147024792 (0x80070068 - code 104)

Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:18:34 File (\\server\office2007\setup.exe) is not in cache
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:18:34 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:18:34 PackagePath:      [http://\\server\office2007\setup.exe|http://\\server\office2007\setup.exe]
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:18:34 Processing generic executable
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:18:34 Launched application '\\server\office2007\setup.exe' ('/adminfile O2K7_BVSD.msp /config ProPlus.WW\config.xml') result 104
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:18:34 Installation result 80070068
                        Fri, 15 Aug 2008 10:18:34 processing of package is complete, result -2147024792 (0x80070068 - code 104)

• 9. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                          MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Have you tried setting up a share on a share other than the core server?

Mark Star - http://www.marxtar.com

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 10. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                            JSMCPN Expert

Yes, this same error happens on >45 different Preferred Servers, and doesn't happen if I run the same command manually as LocalSystem.

It also works just fine with PSEXEC -S
                            TARGETPC
                            SERVER\SHARE\OFFICE2007\SETUP.EXE /Switch1 /Switch2

• 11. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                              MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Here is what Microsoft say:

Error Message:

Cannot request exclusive semaphores at interrupt time.

Explanation:

Exclusive system semaphores are owned by a task. The system checks to make sure that only the owner modifies the semaphore. It is impossible to determine the requester at interrupt time, so exclusive semaphores may not be modified then.

User Action:

End your requested operation, wait awhile, and retry. If you still get this message, contact the supplier of the running application.

Not amazingly helpful except they say the application appears to be at fault.  You might not want to hear this but....  If you contact the manufacturer, they will probably suggest you install SP5.  Since your issue seemed to start after SP4 perhaps there is something in that?

Mark Star - http://www.marxtar.com

Home of Power State Notifier & Wake-On-WAN for LANDesk

• 12. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                                JSMCPN Expert

We are on LDMS 8.8 Gold (no service pack).

This is really frustrating - why can I request exclusive semaphores, but SDCLIENT cant?

• 13. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                                  MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Sorry, got you confused with the original poster who was 8.7 SP4.

Have tried shutting down other services on the systems to see if any of them might be causing this?  Over-zealous AV perhaps?

• 14. Re: "exclusive semaphores" error message
                                    MarXtar ITSMMVPGroup

Just thought.  Do you have something like the Novell client running on your clients?  Noticed you are a school district so thinking a different network provider might be confusing things.

1 2 Previous Next