5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 21, 2011 1:41 PM by EMiranda

Partition sizes vs HDD sizes

Rookie

Hey everyone,

I am having an issue with capturing and deploying images which I feel may be a setting I am overlooking.

Normally I create and capture images on my smallest drive available which is a 20GB hard drive. This gives me no problems when deploying, as all the hard drive sizes are that size or larger. I recently updated that image and re-captured it on a 40GB by accident. Now when I go to deploy that image, it will only work on 40GB hard drives and higher. Anything smaller will restart the computer out of the PXE before it gets to formatting.

The image sizes are only about 6-8GB's of data and I find it strange that I am running into this problem. It should not matter what size drive I capture and deploy on as long as the hard drive space is over the image size. Is there something I am not doing right? May be a setting on the core server?

Thanks,

Sean

• 1. Re: Partition sizes vs HDD sizes
          Employee

I see this post is from 2009 but I'm going to answer it anyway, better late than never, right?

The short answer: Recapture thie image.

The best practice is to shrink the partition as small as possible and then capture. That way you will most likely not run into this problem again.

When we restore we expand to the size of the drive anyway.

Hope this helps anyone else in the future as I have a feeling Sean has figured it out by now.

Tyler

• 2. Re: Partition sizes vs HDD sizes
            EMiranda Expert

"It should not matter what size drive I capture and deploy on as long as the hard drive space is over the image size."

When you use a sector base imaging tool like imageW.exe it definetly does matter.

• 3. Re: Partition sizes vs HDD sizes
              Rookie

Yeah I had to start from scracth again and make sure I capture on a small drive such as a 20GB. Bummer but I eventually got it done. Thanks!

• 4. Re: Partition sizes vs HDD sizes
                Rookie

Thanks for clearing this up for me. Is there a better image tool to use with Landesk or is this the best option?

• 5. Re: Partition sizes vs HDD sizes
                  EMiranda Expert

There are 3 main tools to use for imaging. 2 of them are file based - Ghost and ImageX and then you have ImageW

They all do the same thing, it is all personal preferrence, they all have pros and cons

I use ImageW.

I prefer the GUI for the end users, you will most likely get better support from LANDesk using their tool and the big one, Its free.

Just go with a small partition to capture the image and you can do whatever you want to the partiton after the image is laid down using DISKPART scripts. So it really is not that bad.

1 of 1 people found this helpful