8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 10, 2010 5:18 PM by whookie

How to Uninstall a Program with Distribution Package?

Rookie

Can someone please point me in the right direction on how to send a distribution pakage that will uninstall Thunderbird? I've tried the Batch mode and it constantly fails saying "Failed to Download all additional files". But there are NO additional files, just the one batch file.

Here is the command I am running in the batch file:

@ECHO ON
      IF EXISTS C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\uninstall\helper.exe (
          "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\uninstall\helper.exe" /S
      )

:end

Does this look right? Any help would be GREATLT appreciated.

• 1. Re: How to Uninstall a Program with Distribution Package?
          Rookie

Well, i tried as a EXE package and putting the uninstall file "helper.exe" on the core, but it seems to be giving me the same error.

Failed to download all additional files for a package

Log file gives me this:

Processing package : KILL ThunderBird!!
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:30 File (server_name_here\installFiles\ThunderBirdUninstall.exe) is not in cache
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:32 Downloading file to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\taskmanifest.####.479.135.ini, attempt 0
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:34 DownloadFile returned 0
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:34

Downloading file server_name_here\installFiles\ThunderBirdUninstall.exe (Ob7U4wN/K/YJMa4mIUtMWg==, 5)
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:34 Downloading file 1 of 1 from '\\server_name_here\installFiles\ThunderBirdUninstall.exe'
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:35 The file \\server_name_here\installFiles\ThunderBirdUninstall.exe (5 levels) was not in the TMC cache.
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:35 The file \\server_name_here\installFiles\ThunderBirdUninstall.exe (5 levels) was not in the TMC cache.
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:35 Downloading file to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldmain\reports\OMMISS\installFiles\ThunderBirdUninstall.exe, attempt 0
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:37 DownloadFile returned 80070005
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:37 ..\AdditionalFiles.cpp(218): (80070005): Failed to download file \\server_name_here\installFiles\ThunderBirdUninstall.exe : (80070005)
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:37 ..\AdditionalFiles.cpp(277): (80070005): Failed to download and hash all additional files
          Wed, 08 Sep 2010 10:47:37 processing of package is complete, result -1918091226 (0x8dac4026 - code 16422)

Anyone have any clue?

• 2. Re: How to Uninstall a Program with Distribution Package?
            zman Master

Could be a number of issues:

1. Rights on the UNC source
            2. You have multiple packages servers and the package has not been replicated to all sources.
            3. Could be a hashing issue.

Try this:

1. Check package Primary File source exe and change it to HTTP
            2. Reset package hash
            3. Restart the job.

If it works you may have an issue with UNC permissions. Also, what delivery method are you using? Sounds like permissions check out this article 2nd link

[email protected]http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-8224

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: How to Uninstall a Program with Distribution Package?
              mrspike SSMMVPGroup

This part I worry about:

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldmain\reports\OMMISS\installFiles\ThunderBirdUninstall.exe,

Does your package reside in the \ldmain folder on your core server?

If so, that is not a good location, the access levels to that location are tighter in LD9

If you are going to have them on the core, create a subfolder in the \ldlogon folder

• 4. Re: How to Uninstall a Program with Distribution Package?
                Rookie

Thanks fellas,

I'm trying out both of your suggestions and I'll let you know the results.

• 5. Re: How to Uninstall a Program with Distribution Package?
                  Rookie

Ok, I did the following:

1. Moved the package location from ldmain to a folder within ldlogon/packages/ .

2. Changed the permissions of the entire folder, Added "Domain Computers" and gave it access

3. Changed the Primary file information from UNC to URL using http://servername/etc.

4. Reset the hash about 14 times and the task still ran the old info, so I..

5. Created a NEW task (Push - Emergency Distribution)

The result was it still failed but it gave me a different error:

The system cannot find the file specified.

Now in step 3 above, I checked to make sure that it could find the file via HTTP. So not sure what's up here. Could this still be a permissions issue?

Here is the Log file:

Processing package : KILL ThunderBird!!
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:05 File (http://servername/ldlogon/packages/OMMIS/ThunderBirdUninstall.exe) is cached locally
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:05 Downloading file to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\taskmanifest.servername.482.135.ini, attempt 0Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:07 DownloadFile returned 0
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:07

Downloading file http://servername/ldlogon/packages/OMMIS/ThunderBirdUninstall.exe (Ob7U4wN/K/YJMa4mIUtMWg==, 4)
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:07 Downloading file 1 of 1 from 'http://servername/ldlogon/packages/OMMIS/ThunderBirdUninstall.exe'
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:07 LSWD or Executable Client Thread
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:07 PackagePath:     [http://servername/ldlogon/packages/OMMIS/ThunderBirdUninstall.exe]
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:07 Processing generic executable
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:07 Launched application 'C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\ldlogon\packages\OMMIS\ThunderBirdUninstall.exe' ('/S') result 2
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:07 Installation result 80070002
                  Thu, 09 Sep 2010 10:59:07 processing of package is complete, result -2147024894 (0x80070002 - code 2)
                  • 6. Re: How to Uninstall a Program with Distribution Package?
                    zman Master

Well it looks like it is running your EXE and failing. If you run your exe out of LANdesk does it work? What is the /S  for on the EXE?

• 7. Re: How to Uninstall a Program with Distribution Package?
                      Rookie

Yes, I think the exe was bad!

I revisited a Batch file that I created earlier, put it in the same location, and ran it. It came back with a different error, but I think I'm getting closer.

Falied to install package

Log file:

Processing package : thunderbird remove
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:10:03 File (http://servername/ldlogon/packages/OMMIS/dumpThunderbird.bat) is cached locally
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:10:03 Downloading file to C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\sdmcache\taskmanifest.servername.353.104.ini, attempt 0
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:10:05 DownloadFile returned 0
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:10:05

Downloading file http://servername/ldlogon/packages/OMMIS/dumpThunderbird.bat (DZWHCX4unSI9CLmDCEhMeA==, 4)
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:10:05 Downloading file 1 of 1 from 'http://servername/ldlogon/packages/OMMIS/dumpThunderbird.bat'
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:10:05 Batch file Client Thread
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:10:05 PackagePath:     [http://servername/ldlogon/packages/OMMIS/dumpThunderbird.bat]
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:12:10 
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:12:10 Installation result 8DAC4002
                      Thu, 09 Sep 2010 13:12:10 processing of package is complete, result -1918091262 (0x8dac4002 - code 16386)

Could my batch file be written incorrectly?

@ECHO ON
                      IF EXISTS C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\uninstall\helper.exe (
                          "C:\Program Files\Mozilla Thunderbird\uninstall\helper.exe" /S
                      )

:end

Thanks again for helping me with this.

Oh, according to appdeploy.com, the /S is for silent install/uninstall

• 8. Re: How to Uninstall a Program with Distribution Package?
                        Expert
                        1. Download psexec from sysinternals. Save it to the root of c
                        2. Open a command prompt. and change it to the root of c
                        3. type psexec -s -i cmd.exe
                        4. In the new CMD window that prompts up.
                          1. Browse to the SDMCache folder. c:\program files\landesk\Ldclient\sdmcache\packages/ommis folder.
                          2. Make sure that the bat file is still in the folder. If it's not copy the bat file from the core to this folder. Ideally it would be good to remove the /s from the bat file. That way if something goes wrong you will see it.
                          3. Start the bat file

This will launch the Bat file with the same permissions as it would be launched by Landesk.

My guess is you will see a error pop up when the batch file is run. Which will hopefully point you in the right direction.