3 Replies Latest reply on Sep 29, 2010 7:02 AM by philh

Tool-tips for user entry fields ?

Rookie

I was wondering if it was possible to create tool-tips that would appear when a user placed their cursor within a data entry field (i.e. when entering data via a window) ? The "Description" field for an object attribute seems to suggest that it performs this function, but I didn't see a tool-tip after filling this field Ideally I'd also like these tool-tips to appear when using Web Desk as well, since the majority of our users access the system this way. Is there a sensible way of doing this within LANDesk, or will I need to resort to adding text boxes to my windows, describing what each data entry field relates to ?

Phil H

• 1. Re: Tool-tips for user entry fields ?
          ITSMMVPGroup

Somebody correct me please, but I think this is one of the last features of Classic that hasn't yet made it into LDSD.  I think it was supposed to, hence the comments you rightly refer too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Tool-tips for user entry fields ?
            Rookie

Hmm, that's a shame - I guess for now I could amend the windows themselves to contain descriptive text, but that's not really an ideal solution

Phil H

• 3. Re: Tool-tips for user entry fields ?
              Rookie

Okay so I revisited this at the behest of the users, who'd really like to see some help text for data entry fields (so they have some clue how they should fill them in ). It turns out that I was looking at the wrong "Description" field - instead of setting the "Description" field for a particular object attribute (via the Object Designer), I set the "Description" property of a data entry field in the associated window (via the Window Designer).

This now displays tooltip text for each data entry field when using the thick client Unfortunately 99% of my users access LANDesk Service Desk via WebDesk, and it would appear that these same tooltips are not displayed for web access Has anybody else out there had any success adding tooltip text for WebDesk ?

Phil H