6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 12, 2010 4:37 PM by vshivyog

Building a new Landesk server 9.0

Rookie

Hi

I have build a new Landesk server 9.0 in my network and I have a existing landesk server in my production network.

The name of the servers are different ,I need to migrate the old certificate from the old server to the new server is it possible.

Do i need to make any other changes to new server to bring it to the production network.

Please help.

Regards

VJ

• 1. Re: Building a new Landesk server 9.0
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

It depends on what you're doing - are you using the new/clean DB on this 9.0 box, or are you intending to use the old Core's database?

If you intend to use the old DB, there's several things to do in the DB. If you use the clean DB, you're fine.

As for the certificates - that's very simple. I have that written down elsewhere ... let me find it.

*digs*

Ah - here it is:

""

Now from the same command  prompt window you can run the installkey.exe with the parameters below  to add the trusted certificate - in this example, run.

=====

1 - Open a command prompt on your new Core and type the following:
          ""
          cd C:\Program Files\LANDesk\Shared Files\keys
          ""

2 - Copy over the following files from your "old" Core's "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\Shared Files\keys\"-directory:

- the (cert-name).CRT.

- the (cert-name).CER

- the (cert-name).KEY

- the (hash-value).0

3 - Now to register the keys:
          ""

installkey.exe "test" "/LDMS=C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ManagementSuite\ldlogon"
          ""

Where the "test" here is the name of the certificate (not organisational name)

The installkey.log will show something similar to the following:

""
          Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:21:08 Installing for ManagementSuite. ldlogon path = C:\program files\landesk\managementsuite\ldlogon\
          Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:21:08 Adding trusted cert 206fce9d.0 to stacfg file ntstacfg.in#
          Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:21:08 Adding trusted cert 206fce9d.0 to stacfg file NTSTACFG.INI
          Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:21:08 Setting 206fce9d.0 as default trusted certificate in registry
          Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:21:08 Setting up install of Resident Agent for the core server
          Thu, 24 Feb 2005 12:21:08 Adding certificate 206fce9d.0 to the Macintosh OS X Client
          ""
          ==========

That should see you through .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Building a new Landesk server 9.0
            Rookie

Hi Paul

Thanks for the reply,

The server is ready I have installed SQL 2500 and restored the old database

Yes i intended to use the old DB please can you advise what do i need to do ?

regards

Vijay

• 3. Re: Building a new Landesk server 9.0

Apologies for the delay here -- here's what you need to look at DB-table wise to be changed:

- SQL:
              ""
              update KEYVALUE set STRINGVALUE='(YOURNEWCORE)' where STRINGVALUE='(OLDCORE)'
              ""

You MAY need to do this as well:

""

update KEYVALUE set KEYNAME='(YOURNEWCORE)' where KEYNAME='(OLDCORE)'

""

Then onto the METASYSTEMS table.

""

update METASYSTEMS set SYSTEMNAME='(YOURNEWCORE)' where SYSTEMNAME='(OLDCORE)

update METASYSTEMS set CORESERVER='(YOURNEWCORE)' where CORESERVER='(OLDCORE)'

""

NOTE -- you must also update the CONNECTINFO string in the  METASYSTEMS table (copy the whole field and put it into notepad), and  correct the relevant things (passwords, data source, etc.), then update  the field with the new line.

This is needed for remote consoles and such to be able to talk to the DB.

For 9.0 that should be all ...

- Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: Building a new Landesk server 9.0
                Rookie

Hi Paul

Thanks for your help I have made the changes as per suggestion made by you. But I have noticed that the machine (desktop and laptop) on the core server are disapparing for the core server. The machine have the old agent installed on it do i need to install new agent on them.

Please can you advice.

regards

VJ

• 5. Re: Building a new Landesk server 9.0

The traditional reason why "devices disappear" is because people have enabled "days to keep inventory scans".

What's your value for this?

To see this, you need to..

1 - Open the 32-bit Console on the Core (must be the Core)

2 - Go to CONFIGURE => SERVICES

3 - Go to the INVENTORY-tab.

4 - Check "Days to keep inventory scans".

If this is a non-0 value, we will delete devices that haven't sent inventory scans in X # of days. So if the value is - say - 5, we will delete any device when we run nightly maintenance that hasn't sent inventory in the last 5 days.

This is why support recommend using a high value such as "90" if you already feel you must use it at all.

Devices don't "delete themselves" otherwise, unless they're duplicates (which I doubt is the case here?).

- Paul Hoffmann

• 6. Re: Building a new Landesk server 9.0
                    Rookie

Hi paul

The value is set 60days.

regards

Vj