6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 8:20 AM by zman

BKM for Multiple Packages

Rookie

Hey Everybody,

I am using 9.0 SP1, and I have a question that I have not been able to find.

I have built a great form (Attached) that has 26 different applications used on it, that is for our OS Deployment.  Each application is a checkmark.  When the form is saved it schedules a task for that computer and application(s).  That is working great, except that the agent doesn't always get everything going right away.

I have everything set as a policy, with "Required Once" as the setting.  After all of the Polices are scheduled, I then run the default script that initiates a policy sync.  This idea sounds perfect, but it usually only gets one or two packages kicked off, and the rest go into waiting (See screen shot).  If I manually start a policy sync on the computer, it will just do one application, then wait for the next policy sync to start another application.

Is there a better way to force a new computer to install its waiting applcations, then the way I am doing it?

How is everyone else doing this, when they need to schedule multiple distributions on a computer?

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: BKM for Multiple Packages
          zman Master

The client can only process one policy/task at a time.  So it is pretty normal for a required task to process and then wait for another required policy.  What you really need is better job queuing in LANDesk and this has been requested in an er here http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/1562 . It looks like SP2 will have a little better queuing, but will fall somewhat short on what we requested.

In the mean time you can either:

1. Look into using provisioning to handle this. http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-4648
          2. Create s software distribution batch file that handles multiple installs. http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2320
          3. Wait an try SP2 in mid October.
          4. Enter an ER for what you specifically need.
          • 2. Re: BKM for Multiple Packages
            Expert

Zman has the answer 100%. If I might add, if you try the Dependant packages option to chain your packages together, it works ok, but there is a known issue with return code templates that should be fixed in SP2.

I'd recommend using a provisioning template instead. Just be sure to unselect the "Stop processing the template if this action fails" check box.

Another alternative is to create custom definitions, but it is more tricky and time consuming and they do not install in any particular order, but you can definately put in more logic into the install criteria.

• 3. Re: BKM for Multiple Packages
              zman Master

Good point jmac, and I forgot about custom vulnerabilities. I just did a project and used them exclusively for software distribution and called vulscan from a script to "order" them and it worked very well. It takes a little longer to create, but you get package detections, somewhat easier queries to see if it was installed, flexibility, etc..

• 4. Re: BKM for Multiple Packages
                Expert

You weere able to order them? Interesting... Could you share that script?

• 5. Re: BKM for Multiple Packages
                  Rookie

Zman, that sounds handy, can you share the script?

• 6. Re: BKM for Multiple Packages
                    zman Master

Nothing fancy just calling vulscan with the appropriate vulnerability ID:

Echo %DATE% - %TIME% - Running Office 2007 - Start >> C:\LOGS\MDT_UPDATE.LOG
                        "%PROGRAMFILES%\landesk\ldclient\vulscan.exe" /repair "vulnerability=Microsoft Office 2007" /NoSync /AgentBehavior=1 /AutoCloseTimeout=1
                        Echo %DATE% - %TIME% - Running Office 2007 - Finish >> C:\LOGS\MDT_UPDATE.LOG
                        Echo %DATE% - %TIME% - Running Adobe Reader 9.3 - Start  >> C:\LOGS\MDT_UPDATE.LOG
                        "%PROGRAMFILES%\landesk\ldclient\vulscan.exe" /repair "vulnerability=Acrobat Reader 9.3" /NoSync /AgentBehavior=1 /AutoCloseTimeout=1
                        Echo %DATE% - %TIME% - Running Adobe Reader 9.3 - Finish >> C:\LOGS\MDT_UPDATE.LOG

You can Vulscan with /? for all the command line parms.