4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 19, 2008 8:27 AM by phoffmann

windows installer api vs. msiexec.exe

Rookie

Hello together,

I sometimes have issues with Software Ditribution Packages checked in as MSI Packages and I´m interessted whether I´m alone with that or not.

LANDesk uses the Windows Installer API instead of just kicking on the msiexec.exe when it installs MSI Pakages on local clients (see http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-1595 for reference). When I now consider MSI properties like ADDLOCAL or PATCH, I recognized that they are actually not supported by the API integration of LANDesk. Yes, there is a work around (using BAT files) but in some scenarios this works rather bad and not fit into the deployment concept.

I asked myself for a long time, why is LANDesk not simply using msiexec.exe directly?

Have you ever thought about such issues, is that a pain for you, too?

Thanks for sharing your experience.

Regards,

Holger

• 1. Re: windows installer api vs. msiexec.exe
          Fabian Schmidt Expert

Hello,

I must say it works very good with the LANDesk API. I'm cuurently doing a large Software Deployment Milestone on customer side and everything works fine withe the combination of msiexec and LANDesk API.

For example Java Runtime, there are a lot of switches and also ADDLOCAL and it works.

I made the experience, that i can use almost all common msiexec switches instead of the /q* and the restart Options. All the quiet switches are given from the delivery method, also the reboot options, but to be sure i always add the RESTART=ReallySuppress Switch to the command line.

Regards

Fabian

• 2. Re: windows installer api vs. msiexec.exe
            zman Master

I have to agree with schmiddi, it works well in our shop. I would say that most of the issues we have are basically MSI issues and understanding the LANDesk caching issues. I have  used numerous MSI properties on the Install/Uninstall.  Things to watch out for:

• Make sure you are not just downloading, caching and running just the MSI.  Several ways to do this. Use Delivery Methods | Network Usage | Use run from Source. Also make sure Use Delivery Methods | Network Usage | Download | Download Timing is set to 0s.

• Or you can use Distribution Package | Additional Files.

Also, properly identifying why the MSI failed is very helpful (MSI installer is whacked, etc...)  Wilogutl.exe - Log file parser/examiner - saves a lot of time!

• 3. Re: windows installer api vs. msiexec.exe
              Apprentice

Hi I am after advice on if landesk can uninstal software via the below string using msiexec.exe and the GUID.

First either manually uninstall nav 8 or run this

msiexec.exe /q/x {0EFC6259-3AD8-4CD2-BC57-D4937AF5CC0E}   This is what I’m hoping LANDesk can do for us.

Any advise greatly accepted.

Cheers,

James

• 4. Re: windows installer api vs. msiexec.exe
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

No reason why it shouldn't - remember, any command-line you can run, you can also run with LANDesk, James.

In this particular case, I'd suggest using a batch file. For more detail, check out this doc - "Understanding Batch File Distribution Packages":

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2320

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead