5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 5, 2010 5:30 AM by Evie

What's the difference between Add Note and Add Reminder?

Rookie

This might seem obvious to some, but why do I have to create an Automatic Reminder when Add Note seems to do the same thing??? 

There are instances when I might want to just add a note to and Incident and every time I do it creates a Reminder which I don't want to use !! 

If I tick the Notify Originator box, in Notes, wouldn't this give them the same information i.e email the originator ?? 

So why do I need the Automatic Reminder?

Thanks

• 1. Re: What's the difference between Add Note and Add Reminder?
          Apprentice

The tick boxes in Note are used to map to the reminders to send the email.  To send emails, a reminder is used.  A note cannot be emailed without it.

Hope this helps!

• 2. Re: What's the difference between Add Note and Add Reminder?
            Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Hi Evelyn,

To expand on Minesh's answer... Only Assignments and Reminders are capable of triggering a message being sent from within the process.  Every time you want to send an email from the process you will need to use one of these objects to do so.  Generally Reminders are recommended as there's no danger of accidentally changing the Assignee with them.  In order to populate automatic Assignment and Reminders with data from other objects like Note you can use Value Types or Placeholders within your process design.

Hope that helps,

Lara

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: What's the difference between Add Note and Add Reminder?
              Rookie

Hi There

Thanks to you and Minesh for your help/suggestions.

We are going from Helpdesk 6.2 to LANdesk 7.3.2 so it's a big jump and I am obviously comparing what we are doing at the moment to what we will be doing very shortly. 

So, just to explain how I see things.  At the moment (Heldesk 6.2) we can add notes to our hearts content which just adds text.  We can also create reminders that might or might not be linked to the text in the notes, these are independent actions.

However, (LANdesk7.3.2) when a note is added to an Incident it automatically creates a reminder in the tree, (see attached screen shot)  which might or might not be sent depending on which box is ticked.

So.... I don't want all those reminders listed in the tree ! Do I?  I can see the point if they are to do with something that needs to be done in the future. But what's the point in seeing them if the text is a duplicate of what what typed in a note and I have chosen not to send it to anyone ??

Thanks again

• 4. Re: What's the difference between Add Note and Add Reminder?
                Apprentice

Viewing reminders are useful if you want to confirm what details are sent from Service Desk.  You can still use the Add Reminder functionality independently from Notes if required.  You can also hide reminders from the tree if you want to stop people seeing them.

You are correct in seeing reminders and notes as duplicates, however the tree lists all the collections (or objects) that are used for the full lifecycle of the the process.

Hope this clears things up.  It is a big jump from 6.2 to 7.32, and the jump is worth it!

• 5. Re: What's the difference between Add Note and Add Reminder?
                  Rookie

Thanks

I think I get it now. 

We just had Landesk support person here for the day last Friday so was able to ask LOTS of questions.

Cheers

Evie