7 Replies Latest reply on Sep 16, 2011 9:20 AM by smittman

ImageW Switches for LDMS9

Expert

Anyone know if there is a list of switches for the imagew.exe that comes with LDMS9 w/SP1?

Specifically, I need to know the switch to capture the entire single hard drive to a network share.

FYI, I tried the wizard and it doesn't like any file name or extension and refuses variables.

• 1. Re: ImageW Switches for LDMS9
          Expert

Well this appears to be a hot topic but finding answers is painful.

So I have come up with 2 options and neither seem to work. The first is the one that landesk suggests.

"\\core\ldmain\osd\imagew\imagew.exe" /b /d:[email protected] /rb:0 /f:\\core\images\xpbaseos.tbi

the second is the command the wizard creates when you run imagew in the winpe session.

"\\core\ldmain\osd\imagew\imagew.exe" /b /d:w0 /f:"\\core\images\xpbaseos"

Connect to core:CORE
          Loading template...
          action index=2543 type=Map_drive
          SUCCESS
          action index=2544 type=Map_drive
          SUCCESS
          action index=2545 type=Capture_image
          FAILED
          error:[80001803H]The action failed.
          Execute result:
          return:1
          output:

Any suggestions?

• 2. Re: ImageW Switches for LDMS9
            Expert

So I tried slight variations of the above with the exact same failure.

I ran imagew manually and captured this command prior to running it and it worked successfully, but I still have not got it to work with the provisioning script.

"N:\osd\imaging\imagew.exe" /b /d:w0 /f:"N:\osd\imagew 2\test2" /comp:2

• 3. Re: ImageW Switches for LDMS9
              Expert

This time I mapped the drives to letters. Same locations.

"e:\imagew.exe" /b /d:[email protected] /rb:0 /f:i:\xpbaseos.tbi

I anticipated the possibility of an ntfs lock caused by failed starts so I rebooted the system and re-sysprep'd it. This was on the first attempt after.

It started the imaging process but immediately failed with "unable to create file".

Connect to core:CORE
              Loading template...
              action index=2543 type=Map_drive
              SUCCESS
              action index=2544 type=Map_drive
              SUCCESS
              action index=2545 type=Capture_image
              FAILED
              error:[80001803H]The action failed.
              Execute result:
              return:77
              output:

• 4. Re: ImageW Switches for LDMS9
                Apprentice

google tbiview.exe That should lead you to more information.

We moved away from using imagew and started using imagex since it is microsofts tool.  We can make an image with WAIK or MDT and use it in LANDesk.  You will need to do more steps in preparing the hard drive if you use imagex though.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: ImageW Switches for LDMS9
                  Expert

Actually, I figured out what the problems were. First was that imagew.exe was at the wrong version.

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-11602

Second was there was a permissions issue on the image share that wasn't discovered until after I fixed the first problem.

Thanks for the input. I had looked at imagex but decided to work with LANDesk first since it should work right out of the box. And it does actually.

• 6. Re: ImageW Switches for LDMS9
                    Apprentice

Can you tell me what ImageX switches you use in order to capture and restore a Windows 7 Image?  My Windows 7 has both partitions, the system (100 MB) partition and the Windows (Drive C:) partition.  I am not having much luck, but would also like to move to ImageX in order to make it easier for injecting drivers and patches later on.

• 7. Re: ImageW Switches for LDMS9
                      Apprentice

Foud this while searching for other things related.  http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=387

I know it's late, but hopfully it can help someone out.