7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 19, 2010 5:22 AM by karenpeacock

Creating a new response level

Apprentice

Hi,

I want to create a new response level drop-down for a new change process. How can I link in new response levels I have created in the administration component to what I see when creating the windows?

Is there a useful guide to this? I have read the LDSD Administration pdf but it seems to be a list of functions without any explanation of what those functions actually do.

Many thanks for any help,

Oliver

• 1. Re: Creating a new response level
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Oliver

If you have created the response levels within Administration - Service Level Management - Agreements - Change Management - Change - Response Levels then you should just need to put the Response Level field onto your change window (if it doesn't already exist). 

The easiest way to do this is to open up a new change then click on the Modify Window button on the toolbar (this takes you into Window Manager with the right Change window already open).

On the attributes tab locate the Response Level relationship and drag this (don't expand it - just drag the top level) onto the position you want it on your window.

Save the window and then you should find that your Response Levels show in the drop down.  If not, then we may need to know a bit more about how you setup your Response Levels and whether you have any Response Agreements setup for example.

The best manual to look at for this type of work is the LDSDDesigner manual.  There is so much you can decide to configure with Service Desk that it can't unfortunately give you step by step how to accomplish each requirement but it does give you the fundamentals such as what are objects, relationships, etc.. You might also be interested in "adding controls to a window" and "complex and standard lists".

Hope the above helps but if not let me know where I've misunderstood and I'll correct myself.

Best wishes

Karen

• 2. Re: Creating a new response level
            Apprentice

Hi Karen,

I have the response level attribute on my window. Essentially my problem is that I want to create two different response agreements that relate to two different change processes.

We already have response levels set up in a response agreement called 'IOP Change'. I have created a new response agreement in Administration in path Agreements/Change Management/Change/Response Agreements. I have created all the new response levels I need to use in path Agreements/Change Management/Change/Response Levels. I have then opened Agreement Rules and added the new response levels to the new Response Agreement, matching how the IOP Change agreement looked (see screenshot).

There now seems to be a difference in what I see in the two processes. In the IOP Change window 'response level' dropdown I see the response levels shown in the screenshot (incuding those for the new process). In my new process, I see all response levels including those set for Incident Management!

How do I manage what I can see? Is what I am trying to do even possible? I would ideally like to see just the response levels for the one process in that process.

Many thanks,

Oliver

• 3. Re: Creating a new response level
              Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Hi Oliver,

The problem of the Response Level field showing Incident response levels can easily be remedied by adding a filter to the Change.Response Level relationship to only show Change Response Levels.  If you look at the Incident.Response Level relationship there's probably already a filter there you can copy.

Normally I'd recommend using a filter to achieve your other goal too though unfortunately it won't work in this case.  The Change (and therefore the filter) doesn't know which Lifecycle it's going to follow until you click the save button so you can't get the Response Level list to filter on that value.  Similarly, you can't use a variation attribute of lifecycle directly either.

What you can do is add a new reference list to Change that is a list of the different Response Agreements you may want to use.  If you add this field as a variation attribute then update your rules to include a value for this field in them.  Add the field to your default Change window and create two templates - one for each process that have an appropriate value for this list set, you can then remove it from the window again.  After that, all you need to do is update your Change shortcuts to use the templates and you should find that the Response Agreements are applied as you require.

I hope that's all understandable, feel free to tell me I'm not making sense,

Thanks,

Lara

• 4. Re: Creating a new response level
                Apprentice

Hi Lara,

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what a variation attribute is? Is it to do with calculations? If so, we are on 7.2.6 still so it may be that I can't do that.

Oddly, there doesn't seem to be a filter on our Incident/ResponseLevel attribute. The response level is showing up with just the change responses on our other change process. Why would it show differently on one change process than on the other change process, considering it is the same attribute?

Many thanks for your help,

Oliver

• 5. Re: Creating a new response level
                  Lara Hellman SupportEmployee

Hi Oliver,

A variation attribute is one of the fields that the matrix can use to filter the available response levels.  You can read all about them on page 95 of the Service Desk 7.3.2 Administrator Manual

That is odd, perhaps it's because the other Change process is picking up the response agreement rules that only allow it to see the Change Response Levels whereas your new process doesn't have the matrix applied to its windows and therefore doesn't have this "behind the scenes" filtering in place.  Are you using a different window for your new process and if so, does it have the Response Level not auto populating when the SLA Matrix variables filled in applied?

Thanks,

Lara

• 6. Re: Creating a new response level
                    Apprentice

Hi Lara,

Thanks for your reply. After reading the Administrator manual i'm afraid I am none the wiser about variation attributes and what they do. Here is the entry on page 93 of the manual;

"Variation attributes
                    We recommend that you configure the required variables before creating an agreement.
                    The following procedure describes adding variation attributes to Contracts. You add them
                    to Response Agreements and OLAs in a similar way.
                    To add variation attributes to a contract:
                    1. In the Administration component, expand the Service Level Management tree.
                    2. Expand the Agreements folder, and then the required module and business object
                    folders. For example, the Change Management\Task Assignment folders.
                    3. Select the Contracts folder, then on the Actions list, click Manage Variation
                    Attributes.
                    LANDesk"

As you can see, it tells you how to add a variation attribute but not what it does. I'm afraid to say this is more or less repeated throughout all of the manuals for servicedesk. They seem to have been written from the perspective of someone who already knows how the software works and how parts of the system interact with each other, but just needs a guide to which modules of the gui you need to expand to see particular actions. I can't imagine such a person actually exists. I can work out how to use the gui for myself, what I need to know is what these actions actually do. I really wonder if anyone who didn't have knowledge of the software already has ever been asked if these guides actually make any sense.

Anyway, rant over with. Can you tell me how these work. Also what do you mean by 'the matrix'? I can't find this term anywhere in the manual. I know if we select particular categories in our old change process then response levels will automatically select. How is this managed? I can't find anything that might relate to it in the Administration/Service Level Management module.

Many thanks,

Oliver

• 7. Re: Creating a new response level
                      karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi Oliver

Sorry to hear that you are finding this unclear in the manuals.  I think it's a tricky bit of functionality to explain on paper (I am hoping to do a little video some day) but perhaps some examples would help.  Put simply, the agreement rules (or matrix) allow you to filter the list of response levels that are available when someone raises a new IPC (incident, problem or change) record based on other selections that they have made on the form.

An example:

You have list called Impact on your window which contains the values High, Medium and Low.  You add this Impact attribute into the variation attributes.  By adding it in as a variation attribute you are then able to use this field to filter your list of response levels.  You might also have a high priority customer called "The Boss".  You should also have the customer attribute on your variation attributes.  You might have 4 response levels: Priority 1, 2, 3 and 4.

You create a new Response Agreement.  You click on Manage Groups and add in The Boss. You go to the Manage Rules section and then add in New Rules to reflect the following:

CustomerImpactResponse Level
                      The BossHighP1
                      The BossHighP2
                      The BossMediumP2
                      The BossMediumP3
                      The BossLowP3
                      The BossLowP4

So when a High Impact issue is logged for The Boss then the Response Level is automatically filled in as a P1.  If this isn't a read only field then your analyst could drop down the list and pick from a list of either P1 or P2.  When logging a Medium it will fill in as a P2 but the analyst could change this to a P3 etc..

For your other customers, create a new Response Agreement.  Click on Manage Groups and add in all other customers by clicking on >> then remove The Boss.  Set up the Manage Rules to reflect the following:

CustomerImpactResponse Level
                      HighP2
                      MediumP3
                      LowP4

When another customer logs a High priority issue the Response Level is populated as P2 and there is no option for the analyst to override this.  When logging a Medium it will populate as P3 and then there is no option to override this etc..

If you create your rules but find that you drop down list is not restricting the response levels based on the rules you created then you may need to make a change to your window design.  Here is a document that explains this.

I hope this is helpful in explaining a bit more?  Let me know if anything is unclear or doesn't cover what you want as I might transfer this into an article.

Best wishes

Karen