6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 22, 2010 10:10 AM by Stu McNeill

Notification method ignored for create/resolve incident notification

EricLeaf Rookie

We have a good-sized group of users who do not have email addresses (temps, housekeeping, etc.), but they can open incidents in Service Desk.  Service Desk tries to send an email notification to these users, which have null email addresses, regardless of the tps_notification_method value set to '0' or to '1'.  This leads me to believe that something is not checking the notification method.

If we add a note and check the ' Notify User' control, LDSD doesn't generate a notification for these null-email users.

Any thoughts on what I need to correct?  I'm thinking Process, but it doesn't necessarily follow that I'm right.

Thanks,

Eric

• 1. Re: Notification method ignored for create/resolve incident notification
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Mail manager has option when mapping an inbound email to a process which allows a mail to be sent back on the creation/update of an incoming email.  That is often turned on to allow the process to control such emails and give better formatting, but if you have that area still turned on, that might be something to look at.  Just a thought.

• 2. Re: Notification method ignored for create/resolve incident notification
            EricLeaf Rookie

We do have that feature turned on (auto-reply saying Thanks for contacting...) but these particular users are calling the Help Desk, where the staff open the incident with the caller as the raise user.  After the ticket is saved by the Help Desk staff, the process again generates the "Thanks for contacting" email, even though the End User record for the caller does not have a valid email address, and we've set the tps_notify_method to '0' or '1'.

The vendor/consultant delivered script:

USE[dbname]

GO

/****** Object: StoredProcedure [dbo].[sp_setNotificationForNullEmail] Script Date: 10/20/2010 08:32:22 ******/

SET

ANSI_NULLS ON

GO

SET

QUOTED_IDENTIFIER ON

GO

-- =============================================

-- Author: Vendor provided

-- Create date: 11/16/2009

-- Description: clear out the mail queues

-- =============================================

procedure [dbo].[sp_setNotificationForNullEmail] AS

begin

update

tps_user set tps_notify_method = 0 where tps_email_address is NULL and tps_deleted = 0

END

Obviously it has a cut/paste comment from another script.  Reading in the community found the suggestion to set the method to '1', but that has not changed the behavior as expected. 

From your reply to the original question, I think you're saying that the answer is in a process somewhere, but since our organization is brand-spanking new to LANDesk, we are not very familiar with the Process Designer yet.  Where in the Process Designer, when I look at the "Add Reminder" box, would I find the logic that refers to the tps_notify_method?

• 3. Re: Notification method ignored for create/resolve incident notification
              dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Personally I'd 'ask' whoever did you're implementation to sort this out for you.  But the two main places where emails are sent in a process are the assignment arrows (grey) and reminders, so have a look in those.  There is also a comprehensive gudie to email in LANDesk that popped up on this forum a few days back, but I'm blowed if I can find it.  If the emails are not actually going out, I guess you might think of this as a harmless annoyance.  Not ideal, but ....

• 4. Re: Notification method ignored for create/resolve incident notification
                Stu McNeill Employee

Hi Eric,

What version are you running there?  I believe what you're seeing is problem 3515 which was fixed in version 7.3.1.

Dave, the document you saw is here: Service Desk Notifications/Outbound Mail Technical Architecture Guide (although it doesn't mention this issue because it was already fixed in a previous version).

Thanks

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: Notification method ignored for create/resolve incident notification
                  EricLeaf Rookie

Thanks for the help & followup. We're running 7.3.2, by the way.

• 6. Re: Notification method ignored for create/resolve incident notification
                    Stu McNeill Employee

Hi Eric,

That's odd, could I ask you to log this with your Support provider if you haven't already and we'll get it properly investigated.

Thanks