7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2008 8:30 AM by phoffmann

Managed Provisioning 8.8 not working

Fabian Schmidt Expert

Hello everybody,

I'm currently testing LDMS 8.8 and this version is very great, but I discoverd a problem with provisioning.

When I schedule a template my client is unable to load the PXE Image. Also when i manually select Provisioning from PXE Menue, select a template with a reboot, where the PXE Image needs to load a second time the template dosen't move on, because the client is unable to load the Image file.

As error code I recive an unknown error from my  PXE Represantitive.

Anyone else discoverd such problems?

Greets

• 1. Re: Managed Provisioning 8.8 not working
          Employee

Have you tried deploying the PXE representative to another machine? This will usually help you know where to start troubleshooting. You'll want to turn off the first machine before PXE booting (so the first one doesn't respond). Or at least stop the two LANDesk PXE services.

If it works on another machine, then you may just need to redeploy the PXE rep to the first machine again.

Does the PXE boot work if you select another boot option (WinPE menu)?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Managed Provisioning 8.8 not working
            Fabian Schmidt Expert

Hello,

I'll trie another machine as PXE Rep, but the strange behavior is, that everything works fine as long the client isn't going to a managed PXE Boot.

• 3. Re: Managed Provisioning 8.8 not working
              Fabian Schmidt Expert

So ok, i made a different client pxe rep and now my client is able to load the ramdisk, but unable to start the win pe environment. It stops directly after the MFTP downloading is finished.

EDIT: Found the Problem to less memory.

But why is it in 8.8 impossible to make a server (my domain controller) pxe represantitive?

• 4. Re: Managed Provisioning 8.8 not working
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

A few rules for OSD / PXE / Provisioning ...

1 - If you want to use OSD, you must have at LEAST 256 MB of memory on the clients.

The formula is roughly the following:

Size of the PE-image + 100 MB.

If you increase the image, your clients need more memory

2 - Generally, avoid DC's like the plague.

DC's run various services (often DNS and/or WINS, along with a host of other things). There can be a plethora of causes for things not working as they should (DC's are always a bit "special" on account of their not having any local users causing some things to go rather haywire).

Generally speaking, LANDesk's PXE Proxy can co-exist pretty peacefully with DNS on a server - but DC's I would generally recommend to just be left alone. There's too many things that I've seen over the years which were of the "weird and inexplicable" category that happened on DC's that a DC has pretty much moved into the "don't ever touch" category in my mind.

Use a normal non-DC - and things should work fine :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 5. Re: Managed Provisioning 8.8 not working
                  Fabian Schmidt Expert

Thank you for the explanation. But why was it working in 8.7 and now in 8.8 it isn't working.

Dosen't matter now, i moved the PXE Rep and everything is working now.

• 6. Re: Managed Provisioning 8.8 not working
                    Employee

I'm not sure if I understand. Did you have to increase the memory on your machines to PXE boot successfully to WinPE? The WinPE image in 8.8 is larger than it was in 8.7.

So we really are at the limit where 256 MB of system memory will barely work. Once you add a few drivers, or if you have shared video memory, you'll need more than 256 MB system memory. In any case, LANDesk is going to WinPE 2.0 with its next release (towards the end of the year) and the new minimum requirement is going to be closer to 512 MB.

• 7. Re: Managed Provisioning 8.8 not working
                      phoffmann SupportEmployee

Correct - the more you add, the more the image takes up, and the more memory usage you have.

We try to ensure that our base-line PE-images will work on clients which have 256 MB of memory. Variances here can depend on hardware used (i.e. - on-board video cards use up system memory, so reduce the effective memory you have, for instance). And the more drivers you add, the more you are likely to run into problems with low-end hardware (or at least hardware that does not have a lot of memory).

We're trying to figure out ways in which we can reduce the memory need, but like many things, it's not a simple matter :).

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.