4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 19, 2011 1:39 PM by jplung

Local Scheduler Question

Rookie

I'm having an issue with the localsch.exe launching executables.  I have no problem configuring local scheduler tasks, and can verify the tasks are configured properly.  However, when localsch.exe launches the .exe, I can see the process running on the CPU, but no UI is displayed.  This behavior is across multile windows platforms and I have only recently noticed this behavior.

Any ideas what could cause this?  I'm wondering if a recent MS pathes could be playing games with the local scheduler.  Possibly something with running as SYSTEM interactively.

Im running LDMS 9.0 SP1

• 1. Re: Local Scheduler Question
          Expert

That are you trying to schedule to run?

You will see this type of thing when the app is being run from landesk which uses the system account to run it. The system account is not a user and does not interact with the logged in user's desktop so the logged in user would not see a prompt an app that is running as the system acct. The tell tale sign is the exe running in task manager with no cpu usage.

• 2. Re: Local Scheduler Question
            Rookie

It is an iexpress executable that launches a vbs wrapped inside. I get the same symptoms if I call winword.exe or any exe for that matter.  I dont see any configurable options to run the scheduler under a different context....what would the workaround be here?

• 3. Re: Local Scheduler Question
              Expert

If your deploying it as a distribution package, you can select to use the current logged in user. I don't use the local scheduler so I can't comment so much about that.

• 4. Re: Local Scheduler Question
                Expert

Hi,

This normal behaviour since localsch.exe run as none interactive, therefore it launch your .exe but in the background.

The ideal is to use windows schedule task as it will run as a system and will be display.

From the cmd you can use the at command or the GUI interface.

## Ideal for testing is to use cmd as explain below

Note that you can open a cmd as system in order to get everything display.

To do so open a cmd as administrator, and type:

at hh:mm /interactive cmd.exe

where hh is hour and mm minute

When the task is run it will open a cmd as system under the path on C:\windows\system