8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 5, 2008 9:59 AM by Jared Barneck

What is the delivery method used for managed/custom scripts?

Rookie

In LDMS 8.7 SP4, what is the delivery method when scheduling a managed/custom script?  Like the agent deployment task, there is no delivery method that can be selected or configured when scheduling a managed/custom script.

I would like to know what delievery method is used and if it can be changed or configured in any way.

Is the delivery method of a managed/custom script task different for a Mac as it is with a Windows machine?

Thank you,

Chris

• 1. Re: What is the delivery method used for managed/custom scripts?
          zman Master

It is basically a push. If the machine is on it will  process the task, and if it is off it will fail with no task completion (you can however specify retries). It can't be changed.

For more options create a distribution package (batch, exe, SWD, MSI, etc...) 

I believe they are the same for MACs. 

• 2. Re: What is the delivery method used for managed/custom scripts?
            Rookie

Well, I had assumed it was a push but I learned differently....at least for Macs.

I had a custom script that issued the shutdown command to Macs.  I scheduled this task to run at a specific time over the weekend.  Since a lot of the machines were already powered down at the time the schedule task ran, they were seen as task failures (which would be expected).  At some point those Macs were powered up on Monday and the scheduled task attempted again to run the custom script and those Macs were shutdown.  When I had scheduled the task to start at a specific time, I didn't not set it to re-try failed tasks or to repeat the task...I just kept the default settings.

So it appears to me, that at least for Macs, the custom script task acted as if it were a policy-support push task.  But I'd like confirmation on that.  From what I can tell from the various log files, the custom script was not re-ran on failed Windows clients...only Mac clients.

Thank you again,

Chris

• 3. Re: What is the delivery method used for managed/custom scripts?
              zman Master

That sucks. I can't speak to the Mac question, and I was just assuming that scripts would work the same in both worlds.  I guess we need ne of those commercials to answer it....Hi I'm a MAC...Hi I'm a PC. ....

• 4. Re: What is the delivery method used for managed/custom scripts?
                Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Does it help if you add this to the top of the script?

[JOBPARAM]
                TASK_COMPLETION_ENABLED=FALSE

If a machine is off and fails the task, they should not try to start the task again if you have this setting.  I haven't tested this in a very long time on windows, and I have never tested it for MAC.  Give it a try.

• 5. Re: What is the delivery method used for managed/custom scripts?
                  Rookie

Thanks Rhyous...I try that out on some test machines.

But where can I found out more information about other custom script commands like this one?  I can't seem to find much documentation on it?

So, ryhous, you're suggesting then a managed/custom script uses a "policy-based push" delivery method? 

• 6. Re: What is the delivery method used for managed/custom scripts?

I have a Using Custom Scripts document which is not very publicized though it is a publicly available document.

I will try to get the latest version in a pdf and on the community.

• 7. Re: What is the delivery method used for managed/custom scripts?

Here is an old version for LANDesk 6.5.  It is pretty much unchanged to the new version.

http://download.landesk.com/support/eol/mgtsuite6.4/customscripts.pdf

• 8. Re: What is the delivery method used for managed/custom scripts?

So, ryhous, you're suggesting then a managed/custom script uses a "policy-based push" delivery method?

No.  Customer scripts do not use any delivery method.  It is always the Core contacting the client and telling it to run the script when the script runs. However, sometimes the Core will know to contact the client because the client contacted it first.  Let me explain...

Custom Scripts are not as often used.  While a custom script is "old technology", Security Suite, OS Deployment still use it and it is still useful for a few other reasons.  It is still good technology.

"Task Completion" was an older feature of Custom Scripts, created before we even had delivery methods and distribution packages.  Task Completion and allows a Script that failed to be run on a client to launch when the machine wakes up.  Basically, it used to be that amclient.exe (on windows) had to run with the /tcs (task completion) switch in order for this to occur...but on MAC I really don't know how task completion works...maybe just by checking for a policy, task completion is also initialized.

Anyway...it does not use a Delivery Method. The client tells the Core it is awake, the Core then contacts the Agent and the Core tells the agent what to do.  While that may be similar to the way a Push delivery method works, it is NOT using the Push Delivery Method.