5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 9:54 AM by chrisF&R

Adobe Reader 9 - Package installed but Reader no longer defualt viewer

Rookie

Hi all,

We are running LANDesk Management suite 8.8. Haven’t been a long user of LANDesk, learning as I go along at the moment which isn’t easy, havnt come across too many problems .

I have recently been updating users versions of Adobe Reader to the current version 9.4

The problem im starting to find is a lot of users are complaining that they now cannot open PDF's... After looking at a couple of these machines I kept finding the same issue, windows has lost the file association with PDF and Adobe Reader. I have been remotely logging on to the users machine and setting the association back up but its only doing it for that user, soon as another user logs on they need it set up as well. We have 1000+ users and around 500 machines .

One thing I have also found out is that there is no registry entry for adobe in software for the machines..... there is on my machine.. but iv done a manual install. It’s almost like it hasn’t been installed fully.

Thought id run this on the forum see if anyone ells has had the same problem maybe not with adobe reader maybe another piece of software, anything really that can explain what the problem is. If all else fails I will be creating a new package with the adobe reader wizard and rolling this out as you can set reader as default.

Thanks

• 1. Re: Adobe Reader 9 - Package installed but Reader no longer defualt viewer
          Expert

What did you use to upgrade? Did you use landesk's security and patch manager or did you create a software distribution package from the downloaded installation? If its the latter, you may want to go through Adobe's administrator or enterprise install instructions and use their customization tool to modify the install. Its been a while, but I believe there is a setting in the tool to make this change.

• 2. Re: Adobe Reader 9 - Package installed but Reader no longer defualt viewer
            Rookie

Thanks Jmac, i used the upgrade from the security and patch manager. Im thinking of using the adobe administration wizard to install over the top of the current install.

I find to odd how it was just an upgrade from 8 - 9 and its caused this adobe 8 directory is still on the majority of the machines im not sure if this has caused the issue.

Thanks for your response Jmac i think using the administration tool to modify the install is the way to go, i will hold off until monday if i cant figure something out i will have to do this.

• 3. Re: Adobe Reader 9 - Package installed but Reader no longer defualt viewer
              Rookie

Hey guys,

Sorry its been a while since i posted back on the current status of my problem, been real busy here had to hold off on rolling Adobe out.

So i built the package using the wizard and tried to role this out, i got the error message back  "not supported by operating system" but i can do a manual install so im not sure why this is happening

I have run through the setup a couple of times to check if there are settings in there that could give me problems but all looks good.

Thanks as always

• 4. Re: Adobe Reader 9 - Package installed but Reader no longer defualt viewer
                phoffmann SupportEmployee

What OS are you rolling out to?

If we're talking Vista / Windows 7 here, chances are good that UAC is throwing you a spanner in the works, and I seem to recall that there may be a few UAC-specific related patches out there (depends on your current patch level of LANDesk you use).

That at least would be my bet at this point in time -- if it works for you as a user, it's likely that the problem is coming from Windows for one reason or another.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 5. Re: Adobe Reader 9 - Package installed but Reader no longer defualt viewer
                  Rookie

Hi Paul,

We are rolling this out to XP 32bit machines. Most of the upgrades were from version 8 to 9.4.

I thought using the Adobe wizard would be the answer strange that the error is stating not supported by opertating system as it can be installed manually using the package we have built with no problems. Shame its so busy here wish i had more time to put into Landesk.