7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 17, 2010 1:22 AM by katharinah

msiexec /update command is not working since LDMS 9.0 SP1

katharinah Rookie

Hi Community,

i have an problem with distributing an MS Office Hotfix Package to our clients.

The Hotfix package is an *.MSP File which normaly can be installed with an *.MSI File.

So i created a new MSI Distribution Package and set the primary file to "PRO11.MSI" (the standard Office 2003 installation msi file)

I set the Install/Uninstall options in the distribution package with following command:

/update "\\applandeskpaketepro01\pakete\MS office2003-KB945430-GLB\OUTLOOK.msp" /i /log C:\Temp\Hotfix.log

When I want to save the package i will receive an error code:

Command '/update' is not a supported option, or it requires a parameter (Filename, for example)

I tried it with another command:

/p "\\applandeskpaketepro01\pakete\MS office2003-KB945430-GLB\OUTLOOK.msp" /i /log C:\Temp\Hotfix.log

but i still receive an error code:

Command '/p' is not a supported option, or it requires a parameter (Filename, for example)

This is a very strange behavior because i'm very sure that this was working before LDMS 9.0 SP1.

In the past I rolled out some packages which have this "update" command and this packages were working very good.

Why is this command not longer available and how can i distribute this Hotfix.

Maybe somebody can help me here.

Thanks a lot

Katharina

• 1. Re: msiexec /update command is not working since LDMS 9.0 SP1
          Employee

Hello,

It is always a bad idea to insert in the packet definition references to files over the network.

When the sofware distribution job is executed normally is executed under LocalSystem accoubt that has no, or limited. power to access the network.

So add the MSP file as additional files and do not reference the network directly in the package definition.

Then try to use in the parameter:

/update OUTLOOK.msp

Regards,

StockTrader

• 2. Re: msiexec /update command is not working since LDMS 9.0 SP1
            Employee

Hello,

after adding the file as additional file and modifying the command have you tried to reset the package hash before trying to re-distribute it?

Kind regards,

StockTrader 

• 4. Re: msiexec /update command is not working since LDMS 9.0 SP1
              Employee

Hello,

what delivery method are you using?

Can you try to use a delivery method that avoids the RUN FROM SOURCE option?

As a test please try to create a delivery method Push and in the network usage section select "Use Download from source to deploy files"

If this will still not work have a look to the logs on the client side ("C:\Program Files (x86)\LANDesk\LDClient\Data" on a 64bit and "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\Data" on a 32bit one).

You'd have a log that tells you something.

Another good test is to put the package on a HTTP share and odify the package definition to use HTTP instead of UNC. Normally HTTP is less ''troubled'' than UNC.

In UNC windows permissions mixage creates a lot of issues....

regards,

StockTrader

• 5. Re: msiexec /update command is not working since LDMS 9.0 SP1
                Expert

Alternatively, use the msp to patch your admin install point and then use msiexec.exe /i 2k3pro.msi REINSTALL=ALL REINSTALLMODE=vomus

It will take longer, but forces the target machine to be at the same version as the admin install. Simply patching the machine will cause version differences between the target machine and the install point and if the machine ever goes back to the unpatched admin point, it can downgrade or break the target machine. Patching the machine and admin install point separately without a recache can still cause the same problem.

You will have to tweak accordingly and possibly use a bat file to deploy it.

Note: this process will not work for any other version of office after 2003.

• 6. Re: msiexec /update command is not working since LDMS 9.0 SP1
                  katharinah Rookie
                  Hi,
                  normaly i'm using policy supported push (run from source) to deploy packages
                  Now i tried to use the delivery method "push" with "download from source" and put the MSP-File as an additional file in the distribution package.
                  I tried to use the package with following commands:

I unchecked the Option "Use Windows Installer to install and control installation (MSIExec)" and put following commands in the command line section:
                  /update outlook.msp /norestart
                  This is the only way landesk will be able to save my package.
                  Now i pushed the package to a client and now there is a window on this client which shows following (windows_installer.jpg) and the package fails.
                  I could see following log file on the client (sdclient_task366.log)
                  Is it right that i have to use the option "Use Windows Installer to install and control installation (MSIExec)" ? But when i use this option the package could not be saved.
                  Thanks.
                  • 7. Re: msiexec /update command is not working since LDMS 9.0 SP1
                    katharinah Rookie
                    @jmac
                    i think this option is not desired in our environment, because i can't reinstall the complete Office Package just for this little Hotfix....