8 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2011 9:14 AM by Silvercoupe

Launchpad Policies User vs Computer

Silvercoupe Apprentice

I just rolled out Service Pack 2 for LD9.  I have several Launchpad Link policies deployed, some are AD User or Group-based, some are Computer based.  What's odd is that on different machines when you "refresh" the Launchpad (hit F5), only the User-based policies are made available.  On other machines, only the Computer-based policies are deployed.

I checked policy.sync.log and the same behavior is evident...sometimes the User is submitted via policy.sync and other times the computer is submitted.  Some machines are working fine and doing both so I'm looking for some guidance as to why this is inconsistent, and for specific machines.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

• 1. Re: Launchpad Policies User vs Computer
          Employee

user based deployments key off the primary owner in inventory.  How many logins do you have this set at for someone to be the primary owner.  If i were using user based delivery that number would be bery low.  Like 1.

What is the difference in the systems. Do they all have the sp2 client?

• 2. Re: Launchpad Policies User vs Computer
            Silvercoupe Apprentice

Thanks for the response Ty.

Primary Owner is currently set to 5 logins.  We may set this lower if needed, but we also have ALM so I need to be careful how often the Primary Owner switches on shared machines.  I was aware that user-based deployments key off Primary Owner, but I thought I've also seen users receive user-based Launchpad icons who were not the Primary Owner on the box.  Is this normal behavior, or could it be that the icon(link) had already been downloaded for another user and was simply presented based on who logged in?  I'm still a bit fuzzy on the capabilities of Launchpad.  Is there a good whitepaper for LD9 SP2?

All the machines in question are servers, some 2003, some 2008.  Like I said, some work fine and download all applicable Launchpad links.  What I found odd is that looking at policy.sync.log several servers would only request policies for the user and not the computer, while others would request computer policies and not user.  However, if I manually ran policy.sync.exe every server seemed to clear itself up and apply all policies.  Is this a bug?

All these devices have SP2.  Thanks.

• 3. Re: Launchpad Policies User vs Computer
              Employee

sounds like a bug.  Get a call into support for this.

• 4. Re: Launchpad Policies User vs Computer
                Phil.Lambert Apprentice

Yikes!  Are you sure about Launchpad policies keying off the Primary User value?  This is not good news for us. 10000 machines, 20000 users.  We need the Launchpad distribution tasks to key off the current user.  I would gamble that almost any large environment is going to have some devices that are multi-user machines.

• 5. Re: Launchpad Policies User vs Computer
                  Silvercoupe Apprentice

Here's the IT answer:  it depends.  I have not contacted support about this yet as it's not a pressing issue in our environment, but I will tell you that I've looged into other people's machines only one time, which would not make me the primary owner in inventory, and if I refresh the Launchpad I begin receiving my appropriate links and items.  So I'm still a little on the fence on when/where primary owner keys in.

I'll say this though:  If you create a Launchpad item and add users or groups to it (AD), LANDesk will automatically add any machines to that policy where the primary owner of the machine in inventory is one of those users or a member of that group.  This is the main reason why primary owner is in the loop, but I know I've seen Launchpad items deluvered after a single login and without a full inventory scan generated.

• 6. Re: Launchpad Policies User vs Computer
                    sporterfield Apprentice

I don't want to hijack your thread, but what do you mean by adding users/groups to a launchpad link?  I ask because I created my first one recently and deployed it out to two computers.  I see on F5 refresh that the new category I added appears, but the link I created does not.  Just curious if there is some user level security I missed that is needed.

• 7. Re: Launchpad Policies User vs Computer
                      Silvercoupe Apprentice

I simply meant that if you have something like Active Directory or eDirectory, LANDesk allows you to "drag-and-drop" specific users or user groups onto a Scheduled Task.  LANDesk will query the directory and add the corresponding machines to the Task for deployment.  This is all based on enabling group lookup in your agent configuration of course.

One way that I've used the Launchpad in our environment is to create Links to various websites as well as some of our hosted applications and added our Suuport Staff's AD group to the policy.  This way, whenever our Support Staff login into their own machines, and potentially when they log into users' machines, they can use the Launchpad to quickly access needed resources.  I've also simply used the Computer Location field in Inventory to identify all machines in a specific OU and add them to a Launchpad policy.

• 8. Re: Launchpad Policies User vs Computer
                        Silvercoupe Apprentice

For your specific issue though, make sure the icon you're delivering actually exists and that both the user and computer can see it.  I've seen some odd stuff happen if you're hosting an EXE on a network share and deploy links to the EXE based on User.  Also, if for whatever reason you're not connected to the netwok when you run the Launchpad, you may not see icons that are not local to your machine.  Launchpad does some dynamic lookups to make sure you're allowed to see it and if it's available or not.  At least it did in older versions, I'm not sure if it's still doing that.