1 2 3 Previous Next 39 Replies Latest reply on Mar 11, 2011 9:24 AM by andrea.nicolini

Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package

Apprentice

Since I upgraded from LDMS 8.8 SP4 to LDMS 9.0 SP2 I’m experiencing a strange problem with provisioning. I want to deploy Windows 7 x64 Professional to multiple machines. I got one template (HP dc6005 Win7 Pro x64 Oktober 2010.xtp) to deploy the image and do all the other necessary things like sysprep injection, agent installation and domain join. This template includes another one (Software Windows 7 PCs.xtp) which has all software packages configured. Each package is defined not to stop the provisioning task if the installation fails.

Everything is working fine so far until the task comes to installing the software packages. (Screenshot: prov_task.jpg) Each time I run this task it fails at another software package. The task still remains active in the console (Screenshot: still_active.jpg) but in fact it has stopped. On the client the ldprovision.exe process is terminated and “C:\ldprovisioning” folder get deleted as if provisioning successfully finished.

Attached you’ll find the ldprovision.log which I gathered from C:\Windows\Temp.

As far as I can tell there is now other task which interferes with the provisioning task on the client. I even reset all package hashes but now luck so far.

There is already a case open: ID 00520278

• 1. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
          Apprentice

A workaround so far is to put all software installation steps from the second template (Software Windows 7 PCs.xtp) into the first template (HP dc6005 Win7 Pro x64 Oktober 2010.xtp).

I tried this on two different machines and it worked.

Is anyone experiencing the same issue or could someone provide a solution on how to fix this because I still want to use two templates.

• 2. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
            Apprentice

The workaround I mentioned above is not working. In fact it doesn't matter if you use one or more templates. This thread pointed me in the right direction: http://community.landesk.com/support/message/54060#54060

The solution is to delete the existing machine from the inventory, re-add it through bare-metal-server and schedule a new provisioning task.

It would be nice if LANDesk somehow fixes this so that you don't have to do the steps above.

• 3. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
              Apprentice

I feel like talking to myself here but it doesn't really matter. Maybe someone is having the same issue or can even help me out here.

I thought the problem is gone but it ain't. Software distribution tasks in my provisioning template still fail randomly. Re-adding a machine through bare metal server is not the solution to this problem.

I even tried disableing the policy invoker and local scheduler service for the time software distribution tasks are running but it won't help. I'm out of options here. EMEA support is working this case too but the guys seem a little bit under stress since SP2 rolled out.

I would be nice if a community admin can mark this thread as unanswered. I didn't found this option.

• 4. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                giesd-ro Apprentice

Hi,

pls try to install a "mini agent" instead of an full client. after domain join.

Mini Agent means to create a new agent without inventory scanning and vulnerability scan + deploy.

I also give the agent full rights to remote controll (without asking for permission).

Last step in Provisioning task is installing the default agent (with all function u mention)

And pls delete all "Old" provisioning scrits in the Operating system deployment depending on your script.

I hope this helps u. Mine is working now !!

Nachricht geändert durch Robert Giesdorf

• 5. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                  giesd-ro Apprentice

Sehe gerade du bist aus Hamburg.

Kannst mir ja ne Mail schicken und wir könnten dann wenn du willst telefonieren. ;-)

[email protected]

• 6. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                    Tom Farrugia SupportEmployee

There is a policy related post-SP2 hotfix that handles an issue with packages that contain dependent packages when provisioning.  It may also address your issue.  Open a call with LANDesk Support and request the hotfix.

• 7. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                      Apprentice

I applied Hotfix PRV-5256590.2 and SWD-5242890.2-2 but they didn’t fix the issue. The mini agent trick which Robert mentioned above doesn’t help either. In fact Robert is having this issue still too. I can’t believe that we are the only ones where provisioning keeps failing for this unknown reason.

@Tom: Have you seen this issue at any of your customers?
                      • 8. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                        Apprentice

It looks like you've eliminated the most common cause of this type of thing - the LANDesk agent tripping up the Provisioning agent with a locally scheduled task like a vulscan.  So with that out of the equation I can think of one other example of this happening for no apparent reason.  In this example a seemingly random SD task would show as a failure in the Provisioning template history.  Yet when looking on the client at the sdclient log file, the SD package which was listed as failed had in fact installed successfully with a return code of '0'.  So it seems that for some reason the provisioning agent is receiving a 'success' message from sdclient and reading it as 'failure'.

The bad news is I don't have any further insight into WHY this is happening - I too thought of it as an isolated 'freak' occurance.  However we DID find a reliable way around it and that was to eliminate sdclient from the equation all together.  Instead of using a 'Distribute Software' action in the prov template, use a series of execute files to install the various packages.  If you don't won't to install stuff over the network like that you could manually cache it locally first using a 'copy file' action.  You could take it a step further and improve efficiency/reduce install time by zipping your packages up and then using an 'unzip' action to copy the files locally.

If you try this and find that it solves your problem too, then it would seem to add weight to the notion that there is some kind of issue in SP2 between the provisioning agent and sdclient - something that would be well worth mentioning in the support case you have open!

Hope that helps anyway.

Steve

• 9. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                          Apprentice

Hi Steve,

using Execute File is an interesting approach for the time provisioning keeps failing  with sdclient.

I tried to set up a template to directly execute from a network share which gets mapped as the first step but even this fails.

If I set the working directory I get error 80000000H: An unknown error occurred.

If working directory is not set I get error 80001000H: <path to setup> not found.

It would be great if you can post your template here so I can have a look on how you did it?

Thanks!!

• 10. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                            Apprentice

Hey vzovko, I am having similar issues just so you don't feel so alone. I have templates that worked perfectly in 8.8 SP3 but in 9.0 SP2 all my applications are failing randomly. I have a ticket open with LANDesk as this is preventing me from migrating to the new system on schedule next week.

Just for clarification I have a template that is split, I perform all the disk tasks and then load an XP SP3 image, after SYSPREP I then invoke a connect to resource (in this case a DFS share with all our APPS), the connect to resource works fine but then everything that uses the "EXECUTE FILE"" type task fails from that point onwards, it's very frustrating and I can only guess that either there is something wrong with using these type of tasks in 9 or there is a something going on that LANDesk haven't discovered yet since SP2 was released.

I'll update with any info as I get it from LANDesk

• 11. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                              Apprentice

Thanks for sharing you infos, Dave. Let's see what LANDesk got on that one.

I'll post back when I have any new updates on my open case.

• 12. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                                Apprentice

This really needs marking back as unanswered though !!

• 13. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                                  Apprentice

For your info it seems that this is an issue post SP2 release, we have 3 cores in different regions and all are identical and all demonstrate the same issue exactly.

Waiting on LANDesk to pick up my ticket.

• 14. Re: Provisioning task fails randomly while installing software package
                                    Rookie

Hey guys,

without a lot of words...

We are facing excatly the same problems with SWD in provisioning since 9 Sp2.

Ticket is open but no response so far.

Cu,
                                    Tobias

1 2 3 Previous Next