5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 13, 2008 2:21 AM by phoffmann

Cant boot a machine back into windows, keeps going into image screen

Apprentice

I went

to capture an image, the job says successful. I cannot see the images

in the image folder. This is not my concern. My real concern now is i

cannot even boot this notebook back to the image ( the windows xp screen

i want). Everytime i reboot it bring up the damn image landesk screen.

It loads RAMDISK and then runs through the imaging steps and screen.

What is going on?? i can even boot off cd. i have disconnected the

network cable i still the pc boots into the landesk screen. i get two

options- restart (that doesnt help) or New Console which brings up a

cmd window. Why is this notebook continually booting up to landesk

screen??

• 1. Re: Cant boot a machine back into windows, keeps going into image screen
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Something must've gone wrong in the setting of the active partition (this usually indicates a problem elsewhere in your OSD script).

Load up the WinPE screen, launch a command-console and set the active partition manually to the restored image via DISKPART. It's possible that your image does not have an active drive set (I've seen that happen once or twice) for some reason, for instance.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Cant boot a machine back into windows, keeps going into image screen
            Apprentice

im not exactly sure what cmds i need to run manually. basically your telling me that i have lost the image which is pain putting us back 4 hours atleast to rebuild another damn machine. So i will just rebuild the other machine that is the same model and re-do this image. And hopefully i can push this image to this failed notebook. we have only been doing imaging several times. To have this happen is not giving us the confidence that landesk is stable with imaging. we used the same scripts as what have worked previously.

• 3. Re: Cant boot a machine back into windows, keeps going into image screen

No, that is not what I've said. Read it again.

I've said that most likely, for some reason, the active partition doesn't get set.

Which means:

• The image IS on the hard-drive.

• It simply doesn't get set to be booted from (in other words - doesn't get set "active").

It's still POSSIBLE that there's something wrong with the image - I've not been there when it was taken after all - but usually situations like this are simply a matter of setting the correct drive bootable. So I don't think it's likely that the image per se is broken or "lost".

Diskpart command-lines can be found here (a simple google helps):

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/300415

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/ca099518-dde5-4eac-a1f1-38eff6e3e5091033.mspx

So what you need to do is to select...

... the right drive

... the right partition/volume

... and set it active.

In order to determine what "the right drive/partition" is, you need to display the drive/partition tables to yourself ("list partition" / "list volume" help here).

Now, if it turns out that all that the problem you have IS in fact this (which is why I'm saying - do it manually to find out) - then all you need to do is add a few command-lines to your OSD script to "make sure" that the correct partition is bootable.

I'm not sure how this could have happened exactly (shy of the original image which had been taken not having an active partition), but then stranger things have been known to happen. So it's more useful to concentrate on identifying what's wrong and how to fix it.

Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: Cant boot a machine back into windows, keeps going into image screen
                Apprentice

Finally have resolved this issue.

When trying to boot off windows cd- i got this msg-

*Setup did not find any hard

drives installed in your computer. Make sure any hard disk drives are

powered on and properly connected to your computer, and that any

disk-related  configuration is correct. This may involve running a manufacturer-supplied diagnostic or setup . Setup cannot continue. To quit Setup, press F3.*

I then realised that it was an issue with the SATA RAID drives. On these toshiba tecras i had to go through and F6 to add the drivers which i had to get from the toshiba site.  This has resolved our issue and we can see the hard drives and partitions. Should be able to proceed further than way before.

Thanks for your help and advice.

• 5. Re: Cant boot a machine back into windows, keeps going into image screen

Hmm - interesting - and good find.

One thing to remember / make life easier - some Laptop / Desktop vendor's motherboards (well - BIOS specifically) include various modes in which the SATA controllers can run (IBM/Lenovo being the main one I'm thinking of at present). They have a "native" mode (where you need the SATA driver) and a "Compatibility" mode (where the SATA drives can be accessed even in DOS without additional drivers / any particular effort.

I'm not sure about Toshiba's but you may want to have a look - I've never seen a performance benefit of native vs compatibility mode (at least no noticable difference), and it might make life easier for you :).

Otherwise, you are correct, you'll need to add the correct SATA driver to the boot-image (for which we have a UI-button in the OSD section of the console) :).

Paul Hoffmann