4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2008 6:12 AM by Bournym

Multicast on demand

Rookie

I am currently multicasting executable packages to clients via multicast with no issues however I need to extend this a bit further.  Here is what I would like to do.

1. Client logs in and login script determines it needs a package

2. Client initiates a pre created multicast FTP script from the server.

How do I do this.?  This means in a rollout I will not need to have a system administrator manually pushing out a package and the client will automatically request the package via multicast.

I can do this easily with a network copy but I want to call a specific job with multicast attached to it to save bandwidth.

Currently all my packages are send using Scripts\FTP deployment.  I use this method as I dont want the package immediatly executed and just want it delivered to a specific directory. 

Any help appreciated.

• 1. Re: Multicast on demand
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

I think you need to think this one through a bit more - as it stands this doesn't make a lot of sense to me. A bit of explanation can help here.

The main thing here is - you don't HAVE to use multicast.

When clients login, this is pretty much guaranteed to happen at "random" time intervals - so not a specified time. Which - in turn - means the policy check + so on will be "random" (can't be prepared for)

The whole point of Targeted Multicast is that you deploy a single package (well - or several) to a bunch of machines at the same time - either for storage (so that they can install later) or for execution right away. Thus, the use Targeted Multicast (TMC) makes this a PUSH-approach.

Login-based checks are - by definition - a PULL-approach. A client logs in - checks "Do I have anything?" and if so, goes forth to download.

Furthermore - LANDesk already provides a lot to make this sort of thing easier - through Peer Download and Preferred Package Servers (if you have the corresponding infrastructure.

You shouldn't feel pressed to distribute EVERYTHING through TMC, as it's only useful when...

You know what clients should receive the package up-front (i.e. - static list of some sort)

You know when the clients will be on (or - at least - won't be off) - so you need to be able to control that

For a login-based approach, this will not work as this is - as I explained is pull oriented, so you want to look at how you can optimize your pull process (i.e. - peer download // Preferred Package Servers, etc.).

Hope this helps clarify your strategy.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 2. Re: Multicast on demand
            Rookie

Thanks,

I have only ever used multicast in a Push scenario so will need to look at the pull approach.  I have only used FTP and distribute package although I find FTP push more reliable as the package always gets there. Package distribution sometimes fails to drop the package into the sdmcache folder.

Are you saying what I want to do Landesk can do this and if so have you any pointers for me to start setting this up.

Thanks again for your assistance

• 3. Re: Multicast on demand
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

If you find UNC unreliable, use HTTP shares - they work fine (Preferred Package Servers work with both).

I'm a bit surprised you have problems getting files downloaded - well, with UNC that usually ends up being rights-issues, but that's not an issue with HTTP (and HTTP makes life a lot easier in other regards too).

You can go through the product docs (User guide mainly) to get an overview of Peer Download (essentially, if another client already has a package, we'll go and grab it from there) - and there's also mentions about Preferred Package Servers (though you should info on this in the community as well).

And yes, what you want to do is a very normal "pull"-approach which is pretty much the parade example of using policies.

Client logs on - check what he needs to do/download - goes off and downloads/installs. That's exactly how policies operate.

If the documentation provided doesn't satisfy your needs, you can check out LANDesk training and/or talk to your ESP, there's potential enough to fill a full day's training (if not more) just to talk about the myriads of ways in which you can do software distribution - and a lot of it is VERY dependant on the environment (mainly things that will work in environment A will not work in environment B due to infrastructure / policies), etc. - so there isn't a "blanket answer" I can give here, that's really more consulting and needs the time to do it properly.

But yeah - what you describe is a very normal usage-scenario of LANDesk policies in action.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 4. Re: Multicast on demand
                Rookie

Thanks Paul,

I will spend some time reading up on this....

Thanks for your assistance..