9 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2008 12:13 AM by Sp2003a

Screen of Death after imaging WINXP

Rookie

Hi all. I have problem.

I created source image of Windows XP on VMWare workstatin with the smallest system requirements (256 MB memory, 4Gb hard disk, Cd-rom, ethernet.) Then I used SYSPREP with option MINI-setup and Detect Plug and Play devices, did not allow system to shutdown. Then i used LDPREP,  and through PXE menu capture image.

I have tried Image.exe and ImageW and had the same result: Aftyer deploying this image on a target workstation i can see screen of death with STOP error, and system reboot.

I tried to deploy image on IBM Thinkpad T60, Fujisu-Siemens Lifebook 7110 and had the same result. I tried to deploy on VMWare with the same parameters except hard disk size 20 GB and everything is OK !!!

Whats wrong ????? Please help !!!!!!!!

• 1. Re: Screen of Death after imaging WINXP
          zman Master

We need more info on the BSOD? However, an assumption is that the image is missing drivers needed for the other types of computers - more likely mass storage controllers - 0x0000007B. Are you using driver injection or are you placing all your drivers on the image you created within Vmware image?  Either way make sure the other machine types you are imaging have access to the drivers.  Good guide/videos and utilities on sysprep here vernalex

• 2. Re: Screen of Death after imaging WINXP
            Employee

hi,

Have you tried to allocate 512 Mo to the virtual machine? this sounds like the Winpe is not properly working and this mainly happens when you dont have enough memory (256 is really the limit ) or if the nic drivers arent correct,

Cheers

Vincent

• 3. Re: Screen of Death after imaging WINXP
              bnelson Employee

I have seen this problem when partition sizes differ for some reason. For example: I blew away all of the partitions on a Dell Optiplex 755 and created a windows base image. I sysprepped and captured it and it would redeploy just fine to that machine but fail when redeployed to new boxes. I then created a new image leaving all of the partitions intact and that would deploy just fine to all of the other new boxes but would fail when deplloying to the machine that I blew away all of the partitions on.

• 4. Re: Screen of Death after imaging WINXP
                Apprentice

We also see this on SATA drives which have special drivers that have to be installed before Windows comes out of SYSPREP.

For example, the Dell Opti 745 is fine... the Dell Opti 755 gives a BSOD when it comes out of sysprep.  Only solution was to load the Opti 755 with the copy of Windows that came with the box (bummer since we have a volume license).

Hope this helps...  Good Luck!

-B

• 5. Re: Screen of Death after imaging WINXP
                  Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

And sometimes if you go to the BIOS and put the SATA drive in "compatibility mode" (term may be different for different BIOSes) you can boot, which allows you to install the correct drivers so you can shutdown, change the BIOS back and boot up without the blue screen.

• 6. Re: Screen of Death after imaging WINXP
                    Apprentice

On the 755s the setting is legacy Mode, we had the same issue.

• 7. Re: Screen of Death after imaging WINXP
                      zman Master

Yep, same on the HP side. We also have to disable Data Execution Prevention.

• 8. Re: Screen of Death after imaging WINXP
                        Apprentice

Grrr.... what a pain.   We ordered 20 of the 745's and they imaged like a champ... then tried to get three more and got stuck with 755's.  Thanks for the tip- now I'll look in the BIOS before wakin' 'em up.

Other than that, they are the coolest lil' machines ever... and FAST.     USFF (Ultra Small Form Factor) Dells with toolless entry... love 'em.

-B

• 9. Re: Screen of Death after imaging WINXP
                          Rookie

Hi all ! Thank you very much for your answers  In my case, promlem was with BuildMassStorage. Stop error was 7b. When i  syspreped image with BuildMassStorage section, everything was OK !!!