1 2 Previous Next 26 Replies Latest reply on Jun 1, 2011 11:36 AM by mrspike

Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow

Rookie

Hello,

I'm very new in this community, but my company started to use landesk just in August and now I'm in charge of create some packeges for provisioning.

I'm making some tests and according to this discussion http://community.landesk.com/support/thread/11924 I have created the package, tested it locally, created the task (for test i used a push delivery method with full bandwidth and use download file from source). I also tried all others

After that, i used a pc with a fresh windows 7 installation and stated the task. Looking on the task manger of that pc i saw that the network usage was very low (in the order of KB and not MB).

I just want to know if someone had the same problem and has a solution to it.

Sorry if i didn't give all the information, if not just ask me

Thank you in advance

Sandro

• 1. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
          Employee

What type of bandwdth constraints to you have in place in the delivery method you are using?  Office 2010 is a pretty large deployment.  what kind of times are you seeing.

• 2. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
            Rookie

Hi Ty,

i forgot to say that. I know that the size and the files of Office 2010 are many and with a big size, but i can't figure out it.

Right know, for tests, i'm in LAN 100 Mbps with the server. So you could imagine i much i was suprised about that.

If i copy the whole files by windows 7, it take about 1:30 minutes (about 9 MB/sec performance). If i deploy it, using full bandwidht setting on the push policy,

with download from source options, it takes about 40/45 minutes to have it installed too (the local installation takes about 6/7 minutes).

Just to compare, i tried today the speed with sap package. With a bandwidht-aware push policy (i checked it's 75% of the speed), i got a speed of 700 KB/sec, in LAN!

I don't know if these speeds are normal to landesk, but when i read that someone deployed so many Office 2010 i'm thinking at about the time it took.

Just to complete the scenario, the landesk server it's connected to a gigabit connection and all switches are connected in gigabit too. Just the local ports are at 100 Mbps.

Anyway thank for your support and hope to read news from you soon!

Bye

Sandro

• 3. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
              Apprentice

I notice that my Softmon.exe process is pinning my CPU when I am pushing this task to users.  That is making the installation take way longer than it should.  Expecially on single core processor PCs.

• 4. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
                Rookie

Hi Karnaugh,

thank you for your reply. I'm still trying to figure out what's the problem with this distribution. Could you be so kind to tell me an avarage time to deploy an office 2010 to a pc (using LAN speeds)?

Thank you

Sandro

• 5. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
                  Apprentice

Just an idea...

landesk is checking for every single file the hash, if it is availbale on other peers (sending out broadcast and wait for response) and the finaly download the files.

We tryed to deploy a package 100 MB with 27K Files. this was taking forever >24h after zipping all files as a self extracting archiv, it was copied within a minute.

Unzipping  afterwards and install. This is the way, ho we deal with packages with more than 5 files

Can you check how many files you have checked in as additional files?

BR Butti

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
                    phoffmann SupportEmployee

Indeed - sending out packages with a LOT of files causes quite a bit of overhead.

The approach of zipping packages up, and adding them as additional files to a "main" file of a simple batch (for instance) whose purpose in life is only to extract (locally) the files and then run the installer, is FAR, far preferrable than copying over the 10-20,000 files that Office 2010 can have.

Very well made point / and pointed out.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 7. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
                      Rookie

First of all thank you for supporting me in this.

I'm sure about what Butti said, that it will last like forever to check a huge amount of files (especially small files).

But here, we are talking of 88 files (i just checked the files in my folder of office2010 deployment).

So, Butti said better pack over everything if you have more than 5 files (i have no problem to deploy adobe acrobat reader that actually it's 7 files).

So i ask both Butti and Paul, what's the real limit of files? And what's the speed i should have on a LAN connection?

Just to know, 'cause if i look in the best method to deploy office on this community, no one say: pack your office cd and then deploy it!

Thank you both for your time and hope to see some reply to make this clear.

• 8. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow

How do you have an Office 2010 of only 88 files?

88 files aren't a problem -- the issue described here is that - say each broadcast / handshake etc. process for a file takes 1-2 seconds.

1-second example:

===================

for 20,000 files that's 20,000 seconds == nearly 6 hours JUST doing this.

2-second example:

=================

for 20,000 files that's 40,000 seconds ... over 11 hours.

The problem isn't "can LANDesk cope with the number of files" - it's that there's so many individual files needing to be checked / queried on the network for, etc. etc.

It's one of the reasons this sort of stuff is talked about frequently in the deployment section of the community. There's already a lot to learn with "just how to use management suite" -- people need to progress slowly from that to more advanced uses, since it won't make sense to most if they don't understand the goings-on underneath .

But yeah - 88 files shouldn't pose a significant overhead problem.

- Paul Hoffmann

• 9. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
                          Rookie

Hello again Paul,

your replay it's very clear and the process it's clear. If we want, we could also say that depends also on the load of the server, network and so on.

The hash i think it's calculated locally and just to figure out, we are talking of pretty new hardware pc, with core i3 on it.

Anyway, i will pack office 2010 and see what changes and make a new deploy. if takes 2 seconds for file, 88 files should take at max 176 seconds, not more than 3 minutes. Let's say 10 minutes, but not 40/50. I will investigate that problem, networks works correctly from the server to client.

I will try also to install again the agent, i installed it by os distribution task, it said ok, but maybe..!

Just for your information, i don't know how, but office 2010 i got it's only 88 files (the installation cd plus silent costumization). See the attachment!

Thank you. I will update this soon, after some tests!

• 10. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
                            Rookie

After several tests, i tried to reinstalla the agent (it was previously installed by the provisioning agent). I think something went wrong during this installation, as i could no launch a self extracting exe as describe above.

After that, the time of the deploy everything is fine and let's say "fast". Of course, the self extracting package is faster than the normal office, but now it's acceptable!

I wanna thank all the people replied to this my very first question/problem. I'm quite sure i will have more in future!

Sincerly, Sandro

• 11. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
                              Rookie

What you could also do, if bandwidth over a WAN link is not a factor, is set your delivery method to 'Run From Source' instead of 'Download from Source'..  That way it just runs the setup.exe directly, and doesn't have to cache over all of the files.  That's exactly how I've done Office 2007 deployments that are on a well connected subnet.

• 12. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
                                Ryechz Apprentice

On new PC builds I run a UNC package that basically runs a script that starts the setup.exe from the UNC path.  This way, it installs directly off the network and speeds up delivery.  For a company wide Office 2010 rollout, I use the multicast method to essentially seed the source files into the SDMCACHE directory so that when it comes time to deploy the files already exist on the machines.  I set the time interval for the package files to remain in cache to the duration of my project.  In my example that was 3 months.

I created a custom Multicast delivery method to set the cache option to 3 months.

multicastStaging.JPG

I'm also flirting with using the LaunchPad to deploy Office so that people can dictate when the upgrade occurs.

• 13. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow
                                  Ryechz Apprentice

Awesome idea!  How do you perform your unzip and install?  Do you deploy a script that has some kind of unzip command built in?  I've never tried automating file zip actions before.  Also, are you using the built in zip features of Windows?

• 14. Re: Deploying Office 2010 on LDMS 9.0SP2 is very slow

That's a pretty easy stunt to pull off.

1 - You need a central batch file (this is your main package, incidentally). If you're not familiar with batches, please make sure you're aware of this document here:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2320

2 - You mark the BAT-file as your MAIN package (so it's this one that gets executed).

3 - All other files / packages should be assigned as ADDITIONAL FILES (for instance, a single 4 GB zip for Office would be an additional file).

4 - The batch-file is the one that actually has the command-line parameters to unzip the huge file, and then starts the install (easily enough done via MSIEXEC command-line).

That's basically it - give it a try with something small (like Putty - doesn't even need an install) to get to grips with it.

=============

NOTE -- if you're extracting the files to a location OTHER than the SDMCACHE folder-structure, be aware that you will need to clean up the files as well...

- Paul Hoffmann

1 2 Previous Next