2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2008 3:32 AM by phoffmann

Gateway ISO missing drivers?

Rookie

I'm trying to upgrade our Gateway version for 8.7 and after it boots from the CD, it hangs on "loading: cciss" .  The server is a Compaq DL380 G2 and the scsi hard drive controller is the SmartArray 5i.  A consultant installed the gateway originally on this machine and I recall that he worked with LANDesk support to resolve issues with a driver, but I have no idea what he did exactly.  I know practically nothing about Linux, so Is there a way to add the appropriate driver into the gateway.iso files?

Connie

• 1. Re: Gateway ISO missing drivers?
          Apprentice

We also had problems getting custom drivers into the iso image. Ultimately what we had to do was just run a single drive in regular SCSI mode rather than as a raid configuration. Are you doing that or raid? It's not redundant, but the gateway only takes about 15min to reload if the one drive crashes.

And of course your other option is always the new Gateway appliance   It works really good and takes away a lot of the headaches of trying to get it running on different hardware and configs.

• 2. Re: Gateway ISO missing drivers?
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

This is pretty much the exact reason why we came up with the appliance, because the hardware out there is so diverse that it's impossible to include all drivers in the ISO. So instead, a simple, controllable piece of hardware appliance makes life a lot easier.

Now - there ARE a few articles on the LDMG and having installation problems. Primarily this one:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2150

There is an internal document on how to add drivers to the broker ISO, but having some familiarity with Linux helps here. I'm checking with the document author whether he (or I) can post the information publically here. If it works out OK, I'll try to link the article to here.

But again - it involves some fiddling with Linux - essentially you need to identify (through running a few commands) a few relevant hardware identifiers (i.e - what components don't get detected / don't have drivers installed for them), and will link to it.

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.