3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 3, 2010 11:18 AM by ksmith5

Using a query to determine installed software and then add to SDP

Rookie

Here is what I'd like to accomplish:

Create a task that will run inventory query to see what machines don't have Office 2010
      Exclude certain hardware types that can't use it
      If no Office 2010 then copy files to system and add to SDP for that collection.
      We are using version 8.8 sp2
      Where the logic is broke is how to add to a SDP task
        • 1. Re: Using a query to determine installed software and then add to SDP
          mrspike SSMMVPGroup

What I did for something very similar was (at least to put in the SDP)

I am going to assume you know how to set the delivery method for the SDP, if you need help let me know.

• Create a query that finds systems that meet your needs
          • Verify this query works as you want.

Now, you can go one of two way...

Method One

• Create a copy of your Office Package, add something in the name to point out that it is for systems that meet certain specs, etc
          • In that package go to "prerequisites" and use that above query
          • Create a scheduled task for that package and add systems as you normally would

Only systems that meet the prereq should show it in their portal

or

Method Two

• Schedule your normal Office package (not the one with a prereq)
          • Drag the query you created to it

In this method you are limiting the systems that this show up in the SDP by only assigning it to those systems that are in the query.

Both methods are really the 'same', but just a bit different in how you target or limit.

Hope that helps...

• 2. Re: Using a query to determine installed software and then add to SDP
            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

On a side note... to get files out to the clients you need to be aware that they will only "live" for 2 - 14 days by default in the sdmcache folder of the client.

This article explains how to get around that, but you must be aware that even when you set the time to live back, things you have cached (not only Office) will live until the date / time frame passes that was in effect at the time the files were cached.  So you might want to have a batch file that cleans up the sdmcache after your deployment.

Also, I used the "blank" batch file method to stage my files and it worked great...

In short, create .bat file that has nothing in it, copy it to where your office package lives on a share...

Create a batch file package in LANDesk, point to your batch file as the main file and then list all other needed files as "additional files", including the .exe or .msi that would normally be your "main file"

Push that out...  now your files are staged and it will not install upon delivery (you could also use mulitcast, but we had a lot of trouble with it)

If you wanted to then kick off the installation at some point you would create a new (or use an existing Office package) and for the main file, point to what you would normally, add all of the additional files you need and run it....

Since the files are pre-staged, it will check to see if any are needed, meet the hash, if any are missing, it will download them (which is why you want to list them) and then will install.

Here is a link that has more info

http://community.landesk.com/support/message/21073#21073