9 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2010 2:52 AM by aadesk

Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.

Apprentice

Hello,

I have such messages for about 8 / 10 times for one day.

I know it is a notification about the fact that the Delta scan has not been received correctly.

Can i do something to force only on some of these computers (i know which one are concerned) always a full scan to be done every day and not a Delta.

Thanks a lot.

• 1. Re: Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.
          Tom Farrugia SupportEmployee

By default if a delta scan is flagged as "Out of Sync" the Inventory Server will request a full scan to be run the next time the agent checks in to run an inventory scan.  Due to network traffic, heavy workstation utilization and reboots occuring during silent inventory scan, it's not uncommon to have around 5% of all machines fall out of sync in a given day.  Check your application event log on your Core server and make sure there aren't specific Inventory Service error messages other than out of sync right after scanning a machine in question.

If you still want to force a full scan, go to Tools | Distribution | Manage Scripts.  You will find a copy of inventoryscanner.ini.  This is a default inventory scan script that will use send whatever scan the agent would normally send.  Youc an copy and paste the script, cloning it and rename it to FullScan.ini.  then do an Edit and find the command line for ldiscn32.exe.  Along with the other switches add /SYNC /F.  Save the script, right-click and select Schedule.  This will create a task that you can run against machines you want a full sync scan run on.  You also have the option to disable delta scanning altogether, but if you have numerous nodes across a slower WAN connection this could cause a sharp increase in traffic.  The average delta scan is about 50-100k in size at most.  Full scans can run well over a MB in size, increasing traffic exponentially.  This will also cause the Inventory Service (LDINV32.EXE) on the Core Server to work harder parsing a Full Scan versus a Delta.

• 2. Re: Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.
            Apprentice

Thanks Tom for the detailed explination.

I read already some post about the topic and that is wat i did understood. You confirmed my thoughts.

I get about 10 machines each day on 340 machines, so i am below the 5%.

But what i am looking for is a way on these machines (it is always the same machines) that only these machines are forced to send everyday a full scan and not a delta.

This could avoid to slow down out WAN connections.

Currently, i schedule a Agent update on these machines remotely and i get 10 minutes later the full information of these machines but it is bording to take every day 30 minutes to see which computer has not all the information and to force the Agent update.

So i am looking for something a bit easyer.

• 3. Re: Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

That's easy to do. You just need to change the command-line of their scans.

To explain:

You can enable this "globally" Core-side by changing the value for "Do Delta" in the advanced settings for the inventory service.

CLIENT-side, you can do this (overriding anything the Core says) by using the "/SYNC" switch - this will tell the client to send a full scan.

Generally useful to have a script / shortcut that sends "/F /SYNC" scans. as this does forced software scans and SYNC scans in one.

Pretty painless .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.
                Apprentice

You tell me if i understand well what you tell me,

I need to add /SYNC in the icon the on the startmeny of the Inventory scan icon ?

Will this do that when the inventory scan runs hidden, it will always send a full scan ?

• 5. Re: Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.

Sort of.

Adding "/SYNC" to the shortcut properties is one way to do it, yes. The problem here is that the shortcut would only make a difference if it were in the STARTUP group and/or users would click on it manually when a device has booted up.

The question here is primarily how you NORMALLY get the inventory scan sent to the Core.

Normally (I would guess) this is going to be a LANDesk local scheduler job.

The way to make sure that's how it's working for you, is to run this command in the client's LDCLIENT directory:

""

localsch /tasks |more >output.txt

""

This will list all of the LANDesk Local Scheduler "jobs" on a client into human readable format into an output file (in this case "output.txt".

Local Scheduler command-line parameters are documented here:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-2002

You can also create new Local Scheduler scripts in the 32-bit console (in the TOOLS => DISTRIBUTION => MANAGE SCRIPTS section). Here you can comfortably use the GUI to navigate you through the filters and such.

Command would look like this (for instance)

""

C:\Program Files\LANDesk\LDClient\ldiscn32.exe
                  ""

Whilst the "Parameters" could look like this:

""

/NTT=YOURCORE:5007 /S=YOURCORE  /I=HTTP://YOURCORE/ldlogon/ldappl3.ldz /F /SYNC
                  ""

And you can configure the filters about when to run/not to run as you like .

=============

I hope this helps / clarifies things?

- Paul Hoffmann

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.
                    Apprentice

What i did, i created a batch file and a psexec file, i run on the usual laptops every dat a psexec to force a full scan.

What i still don't get is that sometimes is that some devices where there friday and this monring on monday, it isn't anymore in the list.

I get this frequently when laptop are not in the office.

Is landesk not supported to remember all the inventory of the last connection ?

How can i avoid this ?

• 7. Re: Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.
                      Apprentice

A little UP.

I don't get it, yesterday i had 355 computers in the list at the end of the day and today i am starting again around 342 computers.

How could this be ? I don't get it.

Thanks.

• 8. Re: Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.

Well, I wouldn't be surprised if the reason for it were this:

You (or someone else) have/has enabled "Days to keep inventory scans"

Do this:

1 - Open up the 32-bit Console on the CORE (must be the Core Server itself!).

2 - Go to CONFIGURE => SERVICES.

3 - Click on the INVENTORY-tab.

4 - Now look at the value for "DAYS TO KEEP INVENTORY SCANS" ... what is it?

At a guess, it's a non-0 value. What does this setting do?

Well - let's assume that you have a value of "2" there, to elaborate an example.

Every evening, when we run DB-maintenance, the Inventory service checks "are there devices that I've not heard from for more than 2 days?" ... if it finds devices that haven't reported in for more than 2 days, we delete them.

The idea here is to cut down on backlog -- usually we recommend a value of 90 or more in here (since if a device hasn't reporting in for 1/4 of a year, there's a good chance you've retired it), or just leave it at "0" (never delete devices for not reporting in for a certain amount of time).

That's the only way that LANDesk will delete devices automatically.

Regards,

- Paul Hoffmann

• 9. Re: Inventory data for  is out of sync.  A full scan will be forced.
                          Apprentice

That is indeed the solution.

I already changed it to 40 days yesterday and i say the difference. Now I changed it to 90 days as advised.

This is getting a much more stable list of computers.

Thanks you.