4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 1:49 PM by mrspike

Policy Supported Push of software question

Apprentice

If I understand this correctly, a PSP task should attempt to push out the software immediately (when I select Start Now)  and then if not reaching a machine, will install later, if I make it required? So that as computers come online, they contact the policy service, see there is an install available, download and do.

I have set up a software msi package for several hundred computers however I am only seeing 1-4 installs per day. All machines are actually here and online during the day at some point.  Do I need to set the task itself to run multiple times during the day? I notice that I have a Start Now button available again after originally getting this configured and run the first time. I'm thinking maybe I skipped a step and somehow thought once it was run the first time, I didn't need to do that again.

• 1. Re: Policy Supported Push of software question
          zman Master

This depends on how you have your clients configured to check for policies (check at logon, how many hours/days)?

• 2. Re: Policy Supported Push of software question
            Tom Farrugia SupportEmployee

You're correct on the process.  Any time you click Start Now it will conduct a push to any computers that haven't yet been successful according to the push settings in the delivery method.  With a Policy Supported Push delivery method after the push completes, it converts any machines that have not yet successfully installed to be a target of the remaining Policy.

Policies are purely client initiated. That's one of their benefits; they work any time day or night.  The next time a computer checks for policies they will receive them regardless of the time\date.  The combination of the two delivery methods into a Policy-Supported Push is the most commonly used option.  Remember to make sure the Policy part of the delivery method is set as a Required Policy, Once Only.

As Dave said, if the Distribution Task is configured properly, the next consideration is the frequency that the client checks for policies.  This is defined in your agent configuration under the Software Distribution options.  It's not a good idea to only have it run as a login event, because then users that rarely reboot won't receive the Policy until the do.  Obviously, if the clients don't check in, they can't receive their policies.  You can query and report on the tasks scheduled in the client's Local Scheduler by creating a query searching for command lines containing policy.client.invoker.exe.  That's the client piece that requests policy updates.  There should also be a Locally Scheduled task to sync your policies with the local policy database as well.  (policy.sync.exe).  You can query for these fields under  "Computer"."LANDesk Management"."Local Scheduler"."Scheduled Task"."Executable Path".  Make note of the value in Frequency, and any time of day, system event or other filter.  Whatever agent configuration setting you choose, it's reccomended to check at least once per day, and at login.

There's a how-to document on creating a report of Locally Scheduled Tasks here:

http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7403

Try opening the Desktop Manager (if v9)\Software Deployment Portal (on v8.x) on a client that hasn't yet received the distribution and manually check for policies.  Does it launch or is there a visible error?  If it launches, then you likely have a configuration issue with the frequency the client checks for software distribution policies.  If it fails, examine policy.sync.log in the ldclient directory.  This log will audit the actions of checking for policies and policy.client.invoker.log for the actual policy initialization.  There will also be a sdclient type log under LDClient\Data if the policy actually starts running.

That should help you narrow it down some anyway.

• 3. Re: Policy Supported Push of software question
              Apprentice

Thanks for the info.

What I see on the scheduled task status is that many machines have completed successfully, but the query that I'm running still shows older versions of the software. I checked the local scheduler and see that it is running at least once a day. I changed the policy portion from Periodic to Once so will see if that affects the rollout.

• 4. Re: Policy Supported Push of software question
                mrspike SSMMVPGroup

Also, keep in mind that a PSP will NOT turn into a Policy until after all of the Push tasks have completed or failed.  If one or more systems get stuck in "Active" as I see happen a lot, the job will remain a Push.

That means if a system comes later and checks for Policies, it will not get it, as it is not yet a policy.

I wish this issue was fixed, (stuck in Active), but it has been going on for a few releases....

So....  What I do at this time, is schedule and use PUSHES for a day or two, then create a separate task that is a POLICY and have that running