6 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 2:41 AM by Ljones

Queries with Prompts

Rookie

Hi,

When you a run a query which has a prompt and you choose to ignore the prompt by selecting Go this brings back all results.

Is there a way to not have the Go option so the prompt is not by-passed? I'm thinking in terms of what affect it would have on the system if it tried to bring back all incidents ever logged.  I assume it will either time out and crash, or eventually bring the results which are not needed.

I would like to de-activate this Go option when using the prompts as I don't want any of our users to by pass the prompts for above reasons.

thanks,

Dharmesh

• 1. Re: Queries with Prompts
          karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi

This isn't possible as far as I am aware.  However, you can set the properties on the last page of the query design to always select only the Top X number of rows.  So you could restrict this to a more reasonable number perhaps.  I just tested this works in 7.3.2 but am not certain about earlier versions.  The other thing of course is to hard code some criteria into the query if you only want more recent data to be included.  In other words, don't prompt on date but put a criteria in to ask for only those within the previous x months.

I do think though, that having criteria that is mandatory for the query and has to be completed before you get the go button, sounds like an excellent enhancement request that I'd vote on

Best wishes

Karen

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Queries with Prompts
            Rookie

Thanks Karen.

I guess the work around for now is using the Return top ----- rows only option on the last (general) screen in queries, until such time an enhancement has been implemented, how do we go about getting this enhancement actioned? I'm using 7.3.2 by the way. 

Maybe i should get some points for that one so i can be taken off rookie status

thanks,

Dharmesh

• 3. Re: Queries with Prompts
              karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi

I'm afraid I cannot give you any points because I am not that all powerful but if I could I would I promise

Here is the enhancement request area.  You should be able to access this if your login is recognised as a customer account.  Let me know if you have any problems accessing this.

Best wishes

Karen

• 4. Re: Queries with Prompts
                Stu McNeill Employee

On the point about performance this isn't going to be too much of an issue because only the first page of results will be requested plus a count of the total number of results.

• 5. Re: Queries with Prompts
                  Rookie

Hi,

Tried accessing that link but no joy, says i'm not authorised.  Odd i thought i'd have a customer account linked to my login, how can i check this?

thanks,

Dharmesh

• 6. Re: Queries with Prompts
                    Expert

Hi Darmesh

I can't see any customer account linked to your login - if you can give me a call, we can sort this out.

regards

Louise