4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 9:01 AM by hershal06

Copy Directory using REMCOPY

Rookie

Is it possible to copy a directory and it's contents using REMCOPY? Doesn't seem to allow * or C:\temp\.

• 1. Re: Copy Directory using REMCOPY
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

No, it's meant for single files.

If you need to copy a directory from A to B, just use "REMEXEC" with "cmd /c" and the copy command, or scribble the commands into a batch and distribute it as a package - that type of thing .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Copy Directory using REMCOPY
            Rookie

Thanks for the response Paul. I'll give that a try. One issue I might hit is firewalled servers. I found that REMCOPY worked even though there is a firewall between servers when a batch file wasn't able to copy. But I wonder if REMEXEC ends up working through the port(s) that landesk has opened.

• 3. Re: Copy Directory using REMCOPY
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Not really.

The whole "REM..." stuff is us (well - the Core) talking to the LANDesk agent on the client directly.

It's not a case of "run this super-secret copy command-line we don't tell anyone about", so not a list of command-lines we can give.

What are you trying to achieve here, exactly? Is this not something you could work around/through by using software distribution?

At the end of the day, if you copy a batch file to the box in question, which tells it to copy files from location A (local I assum) to location B (local again, I assume?) then that'll work fine, and we don't care about firewalls.

If you're talking about grabbing files from a network share, the "easy" (or sneaky) way to work around that is to use the "ADDITIONAL FILES" option in a package (which can be a dummy batch file for all you care, potentially).

More information on what you're trying to achieve here ultimately would be good, as we can try to give more poignant advice then .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: Copy Directory using REMCOPY
                Rookie

Here is what I'm doing (basically a software install w/ dependant files):

Copy dependant files to remote server (most be able to copy through firewall, servers won't have access to share on Core). This is where I noticed REMCOPY worked well. And I'm assuming additional files in software distribution would work the same way.

Then run an executable with cmd parameters.

I'm guessing that is a clear cut problem to solve with software distribution? If so do you know where the files are stored on the remote server? I may need to reference their path in parameters.