2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2010 10:05 AM by Chewie

Creating a deployment script/task that checks a targeted client each time it logs in?

Rookie

During the setup of LanDesk Mgmt Suite 9.x, there was mention of a way to create  task; or perhaps it was a script; where you can go to deploy a package, and for clients that have not had the package installed yet, it could check them every time they check in with Landesk and then attempt to deploy the package.

Right now I am doing that but only having a scheduled task try to re-depoly the software to systems that have initially failed.

Is there a way to do this? I am scouring the help files and not finding what I need.

• 1. Re: Creating a deployment script/task that checks a targeted client each time it logs in?
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

Are you talking about policies by any chance?

=======

To clear up the lingo a little bit (since understanding is important) - SCRIPTS are "one-off" things, really - you fire the script off, and it runs (or fails to run) - that's it, end of story.

Note that scripts can ONLY ever have this push-method.

======

There's the "PUSH" method for a software distribution packet, that works much in the same way as above. "Try to do it now - if you can't, you can't" -- again, nothing happens to clients that don't get it.

======

Then there's "POLICY" -- those come in three variants:

1 - REQUIRED => Install the policy. Period. User doesn't get a choice.

2 - OPTIONAL ==> User gets to choose whether to install the policy (checkbox is empty).

3 - RECOMMENDED ==> Like OPTIONAL (above), except that the check-box is ticked by default.

Policies are "turned on" on the Core, and clients check in now and then (by default 1x / day) for policies, and will install and required policies automatically.

========

There's "Policy supported push". This is a combination of the above two.

1 - Try pushing the job.

2 - For any devices that COULDN'T be pushed to (because they were off, etc.), turn the job into a POLICY.

=========

Is this what you're talking about?

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: Creating a deployment script/task that checks a targeted client each time it logs in?
            Rookie

Thank you, Policy was what I was lookign for.  Got my terminology mixed up but I now have a package being deployed with it being required upon user checkin.