3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2010 8:40 AM by phoffmann

boot.wim is 1.5 GB

Apprentice

Server: Windows 2K8 (R2)

Core: LDMS 9, SP2

I injected (added *.inf) a NIC (Intel) driver into the boot.wim and after the wim file was done processing, it balooned from 124MB to 1.5 GB! How can this be resolved?

• 1. Re: boot.wim is 1.5 GB
          phoffmann SupportEmployee

If you can duplicate this behaviour on your test system (to make sure it is duplicable), and if it baloons to 1.5 GB there as well, raise a call with support and provide us the files/drivers you're using here.

If we can duplicate this (whic should be the case if it happens on your test system) we can get dev to look at this and try to figure out what's going on here.

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 2. Re: boot.wim is 1.5 GB
            Apprentice

Paul .. problem solved.

I had copied my *.inf for the NIC to the desktop of my core. One of the other files on the desktop was the 1.4GB WAIK ISO. You know where this is going, right? Exactly. When the *.inf was injected it imported all the files from the desktop including the ISO. Thus, the 1.5GB image size.

I created a 'New Folder' on the desktop and copied the NIC's inf, dll and sys files to it and did the import from this folder and now the boot.wim size is fine.

Will be a good idea to have the doc team update any corresponding documentation to reflect this.

• 3. Re: boot.wim is 1.5 GB
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

Hmm - I'd argue that not, since the software "does as it's told", and if it was told to include a 1.4 GB file then it will.

Most commonly people throw the drivers into a directory of its own (be it on the desktop or elsewhere) - for reasons of "cleanliness" if nothing else.

Worst case scenario, it's the sort of thing that most of us go through sooner or later with some application or another (rest assured, you're not the only one to have had a "doh" moment of this sort - though mine was prior to my LANDesk days). One of those things we slap ourselves on the forehead for, and then learn not to do.

I'm not sure that including a section of "Things you SHOULDN'T do" in the help is likely to be read or be followed (since such things tend to be noticed only once it's too late, in my experience).

I'd regard this more of a general IT-thing. Heck, the admin to your side (I'm assuming there is one) may do something very similar in some other application - our help-file wouldn't have done much.

It's the sort of incident where some folks have a knowing smile of the "Yeah, I remember when *I* did that..." and we all move on type of thing? .

So I don't really see this being necessary for being documented.

Things you need / must do absolutely should. But the array of things one shouldn't do ... well - that'd blow all proportions.

Glad that this found a harmless ending at any rate .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead