4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 10, 2010 5:05 AM by skopylov

How Do I autoselect F8 boot menu for unmanaged device

I might confuse something...

But I think it was kind of autoselect for F8 PXE boot menu for the computers are booting.

1. I create cupture or deploy OSD script

2. place it to PXE boot menu (not F8)

3. Schadute the capture ot deply task.

Computer with NO OS starts to "Managed WINPE" and install my OS image. I worked fine with LDMS v8.8

I'm not sure, but looks like computers with OS (boot partition) can select F8 option automaticaly if they are scheduled as target and task is started.

Now I'm trying to do the same with LDMS9 but looks like something goes wrong. Computer with OS (boot partition) want to select  "local boot" option and to start from drive C. I want it to start from PXE (it works) and select Managed WinPE or any *PE, to boot from PXE Representative (boot to WAIK)

OK. How do a say to unmaged or managed device to boot from WAIK directly and not to select "Local boot" option inspide of it is a traget and the task schaduled and started. It's is not a good idea run to the computer and select F8 >> Managed WinPE by hands

device with NO OS, I guess, must do it OK - they has no boot partition.

• 1. Re: How Do I autoselect F8 boot menu for unmanaged device
          Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

Process for a new arrival of bare-bones machine.

This assumes you have a working Core Server and a working PXE Representative already.

Step 1 - Order from manufacture.

1. Request manufacturer makes sure that PXE is first in the Boot menu.

Note: The manufacturer can change the BIOS and other settings for you. If you don't do this, you may have to change the BIOS manually when the device arrives.
          2. Request a list of MAC addresses of incoming machines in a spreadsheet or csv file.

Note: If they can't give you this, make sure the MAC is on the outside of the shipped device's box so you can make the list when the devices arrive.

Step 2 - Prepare for arrival.

These steps can be done before the device arrives but should be done before the device first boots.

1. Add the device(s) to inventory manually.  Read the Using CSVImport document.
          2. Create an OS Deployment task (unless you have one already)
          3. Add the newly added device(s) to the scheduled task.
          4. Start the task (yes, even the devices aren't here yet or aren't booted yet, start the task.

Note: The task will fail.
          5. Make sure you have the drivers added to the WinPE image.
          6. (Optional) If using HII, make sure you have the drivers added in your HII process.

Step 3 - After the device(s) arrive

Here is all you have to do upon arrival

1. Deliver the boxes straight to the user.

Note: Unless you didn't do Step 1. If you didn't do Step 1, then you have to 1) change the BIOS manually to make PXE the first option and 2) you have to gather the mac addresses in a spread sheet yourself.

2. Make sure they plugin the network cable before boot up.
          3. Have them boot the machine.

At this point PXE Should detect the failed OS Deployment task and automagically boot to WinPE Managed Boot and Automagically start the OS Deployment task.

Note: I am not sure of the Provisioning process or how it is different.

If any LANDesk related functions in this process fail, please contact support.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: How Do I autoselect F8 boot menu for unmanaged device

At this point PXE Should detect the failed OS Deployment task and  automagically boot to WinPE Managed Boot and Automagically start the OS  Deployment task.

Yes! This (above) is that I want. But somehow it is always selects to local boot (addition it is fixed now). But I do remmeber it was OK with LDMS 8.8 Sp3

Now I use LDMS 9 sp2. It would be good to have a forced select for OSD task. And, besides this, the task should not go to FAILED state so quick, it makes mess, because the task is working by fact and the status changes to ACTIVE and then Finished (success). While task is working, it has Active state, but the icon in the Console shows its Failed, after task is complited the icon shows OK

And there is a contradiction. What happen if same computer is added to two tasks capture and deploy (it is quite possible), both tast were started and  turn to FAILED state, the computer remains targeted (ex. user on over end cancels the task by hands). Computer start from PXE and what task does it choise?...

Somehow in my case both of the scheduled tasks are failed, but somehow not complited (not finished and remains scheduled!). Failed, but not Complited state is possibe if I do cancel task on the targeted host - in this case task continues to way.  Comp alway does one of them - only deploy in my case and never capture inspide of faiuled state for capture for example.

I'l try again according to your recomendations, but I do it the same way .

• 3. Re: How Do I autoselect F8 boot menu for unmanaged device
              phoffmann SupportEmployee

So to explain a little bit on the back-end side of things as to what's happening, to make sense.

The "PXE-pre-targeting" (as this is called) works on this principle:

1 - You schedule an OSD-job against a device ("normally" this would be something you've imported via CSV-import-based scan-files, but it can be a fully inventory'd up device as well).

2 - You schedule the task against the device (which should be off / not in your network at this point). The task fails (this part is important).

3 - You bring the device into your network and power it up. It sends out it's PXE-request.

4 - The PXE-representative picks up the request and talks to the Core. At this point, we identify the device via its MAC-address (it's necessary that we HAVE that information in the CSV-import'ed info), as we don't have a LANDesk Device ID or a host-name from Windows to go on at this point in time.

5 - The Core checks "do I have anything for this client". In this case, the Core will go "Yes, I do" (see step # 2), and tell the PXE-rep "Tell this guy to boot into PE, and we'll get him to run the job he's missed".

6 - The client-device does as it is told, and the job starts running.

I'm not sure what would happen if there were two outsanding OSD jobs, to be honest. I can't say I've ever run into this scenario (either in my lab or from any customers) in my entire time at LANDesk, so I'm quite content at keeping this as a mostly hypothetical exercise in an interesting idea.

Personally, I'd be inclined to slap the wrist of whoever did this as a "naughty boy" and tell them to pay attention first to their timing (since you either want to back up a device FIRST - and wait for that job to finish - or you don't care and just want to re-image it). It's one of those scenarios where it just goes to show that technology cannot solve a problem from not paying attention to certain things .

Do Remember, LANDesk is a very powerful tool. If you want to send a script out telling all your PC's to reformat themselves, we will do this. We assume that you know what you're doing.

Hope that this context / explanation of what happens in the background helps you find whatever is causing you problems .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead

• 4. Re: How Do I autoselect F8 boot menu for unmanaged device

Sometimes, PC users DO cancel capture or deploy job. In this case re-deploy (or re-capture) fails the way I explain. Yes. In this case I have to give a slap on the wrist to such user This situation makes two task to stay scheduled but not finished and PXE fails to what you expect - capture and re-deploy right after that will not work correct. As I think it is not correct, as you say, to cancel job from managed host, reboot the PC and start a new OSD task with the same computer.

Paul, the customer at the show room asked me to cancel OSD win7 job from the user host under deployment task and start (restart) it again recapture or redeploy - this is how I got this trouble. it  was not the right thing to do. So, it was my misstake But why they asked me to do it or why I assent? Just not to wait while 7Gb are coppied to the host.

Yes I'm not the one who just conargument , I'm agree with all of you. Anyway this is the situation that should not exist on real network - but I'm just testing.

But task status start->fail->active->succsess in the Console makes me (not only me) like this