3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 7:06 AM by jmac

How Many S/W Dist Tasks At A Time?

Apprentice

I'm wondering if there is any issue with stacking software distribution tasks? In this past week, I've got the agent for SP2, ITunes updates and another program update. All of these are policy supported push tasks. Does this create problems?

Thanks,

Sheldon

• 1. Re: How Many S/W Dist Tasks At A Time?
          Expert

It depends on what method of software distirbution you are using. It sounds like you are using patch manager which is one of the better methods of deploying software because its Vulscan running on the local machien that will install the software as per how it configured in patch manager on the server. Mind you, it will likely not install the software in any particular order.

If you are using policies and software distribution tasks, there is no queuing mechanism (yet) to prevent distribution packages from colliding (2 trying to run at the same time so one fails). You can try using dependant packages, but its hit and miss sometimes and usually dependant on return codes. The only 2 methods left is to use provisioning templates or write your own script.

So, to answer your question, if you can use custom definitions and patch manager, you will probably have your best success in deploying multiples of software packages, although it is more time consuming to configure (until you get the hang of it). I have done a lot of testing with provisioning templates with quite a bit of success.

• 2. Re: How Many S/W Dist Tasks At A Time?
            Apprentice

Thanks for the feedback. Not using patch manager yet as I haven't quite figured it out! It should be really simple but I find the scanning process not reporting correctly so that nothing gets deployed. Guess I have to read the documents again. 

• 3. Re: How Many S/W Dist Tasks At A Time?
              Expert

Patch manager isn't so hard to figure out. Here's a couple tips.

1. Get to know the patch/software you are rolling out and how the installation will affect the end user.
              2. Go through your agent's scan and repair settings and if need be, make a couple to reflect the end user's experience (ie: reboot requirements, etc...)
              3. Understand how your software inventory and security scan work together.
                1. My understanding of the process is that after a security scan run and updates a machine, the results are sent back with the next software inventory, not the next security scan. You can replicate this by runnning a full inventory, then run a scan/update and then run another full inventory.
                2. Once you are satisfied with the results, adjust your agent settings to maximize your success.
              4. Experiment with custom definitions. I think you will be supprised how well they can work for distibuting some types of software and may also help to make your systems a little more resilliant.