4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2010 4:34 PM by cyberdemon

Windows 7 .xml discussion and some sysprep setup

cyberdemon Apprentice

Environment: LDMS 8.8sp4, ImageX

Since I keep "hijacking" other threads lately, I decided to start up a more specific topic. Not everyone can follow the latest BKM's for Windows 7,as we are not ALL on LDMS 9.x. While I would love to learn 9.x and something other than ImageX, for now that's what I have to work with. Templates and Fixwindows.exe are not a part of this discussion, unless you know something I don't that would still work in this Environment.

While I've ran across many obstacles with imaging Windows 7 in LDMS 8.8, for now I'd like to discuss my most recent quest/obstacle.

I have already set up my unattend.xml file using WSIM. This current version of .xml, is ignoring PnP drivers for now. This is ok. Drivers can always be loaded manually (although not ideal). What I've witnessed with our 3+ year old machines, is that most of the drivers are found anyway right out of the box with the Windows 7 Pro DVD. Newer machines would obviously be more of a hassle. I do want to get to the end result of loading all drivers in the unattend.xml file, but I'm not there yet.

I've listened to a few of you and I do appreciate all of your suggestions thus far. You guys/gals are great!

Here is what I am thinking that might work, yet I haven't tried it yet. http://blogs.technet.com/b/svengruenitz/archive/2008/07/02/driver-installation-and-updating-made-easy-dpinst-exe.aspx. This is using a tool called dpinst.exe and a dpinst.xml file. I don't assume I know how it all works yet, but my assumption is: I would place the two files in a folder structure, just "outside" the drivers store location, or above level if you will. So, that it will look for drivers below it.

One suggestion was to map a drive and put the folder structure on a server somehow in your .xml file (which one, i'm not sure yet). Is it the dpinst.xml or the unattend .xml? Who knows. I'd like to get to there, but for me... I need baby steps. It help me understand tools better. My thoughts are this: I will put the folder structure local on the machine (basically a part of my image), so I don't have to deal with possible issues. Point the tools locally on the hard drive and run a syncronous command in my unattend to delete this folder at some point in the passes.

What I need some understanding: What pass level do I add my driver tool? The above example shows in Pass 6 (Audit Mode). My current state of the machine is in "audit mode" already so I can customize my default profile for each new login/user. However, this example makes no sense to me. I would assume, I would need to add this the "specialize" or the OOBE passes. I mean, why 6? Why not pass 4, or pass 7? What makes this so special that it needs to be in 6? These are the kinds of things that I need to understand.

If you're worried/wondering why I would capture an additional 3-5 gigs worth of drivers along with the image, well my answer is: why not? it's not going to fit on a DVD standalone image anyway, so why not have it all included so it's all in one place? And for now, as long as it works, perhaps as my brain understands this more, then I graduate up to keeping the drivers on an external source.

Again, my assumption is I can run a script by following the example from Brian Lee Jackson http://blog.brianleejackson.com/sysprep-a-windows-7-machine-%E2%80%93-start-to-finish-v2 and place the additional command script to remove the whole drivers store location as part of the sysprep. Example would be:

-          On the “reference” computer, navigate to c:\windows\setup.

-          Create a folder under that, and name it scripts

-          Create a text file under that folder, and name it:  SetupComplete.txt

-          Edit the text file and put two lines in it:

Del /Q /F c:\windows\system32\sysprep\unattend.xml

Del /q /F c:\windows\panther\unattend.xml

Del /Q /F c:\drivers (or wherever you place the drivers) <-this would be my addition to Brian's example

-          Rename the file from a .txt extension to, a .cmd extension: result = SetupComplete.cmd

-          The full path now is: c:\windows\setup\scripts\SetupComplete.cmd

Does anyone see my logic in this or have any suggestions in my way of thinking? Is it important to put the dpinst.exe info in the correct pass?

My last question is: I've seen several examples of dpinst.xml one from pacificmags and one from http://blogs.technet.com/b/svengruenitz/archive/2008/07/02/driver-installation-and-updating-made-easy-dpinst-exe.aspx. Which should I go with based upon what I've given you above? How do I make my own .xml? So many questions, I can't even think of them all.

Thanks for all of your feedback in advance.