3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2010 9:13 AM by karenpeacock

user-friendly query forms?

Apprentice

We are trying to switch from a custom-written web-based work order system to LANDesk Service Desk.  At the moment, users can view work orders by selecting location, status, category, etc from drop down lists and clicking on a Submit button.  With Service Desk it appears we have to give them a grid prompt with "AND" going down one column, cryptic location fields in the second column, and box where they can type values in the third column.  Is there no user-friendly way to prompt users for values when running query in Service Desk?  I'd like to be able to create a form and actually put some helpful text on the page telling how do a search.  At the very least I'd like to be able to rename those cryptic database field names in the second column so users know what they actually are.  No-one's going to know what "Latest Assignment.User" is supposed to mean.

• 1. Re: user-friendly query forms?
          tom.haywood Apprentice

Which version are you using?

In 7.3.2 there is a 'description' text box to fill out when defining criteria which may be of some help to explain what the field is without using the database name.

• 2. Re: user-friendly query forms?
            Apprentice

Hello,

I can help you with one of your points, which is renaming the database field names.

You can rename these by opening up the query in question in query and report designer and going to the criteria page, open the criteria you want to rename and you'll notice there's a 'Description' box; enter into there what you want the users to see.

Hope this helps.

• 3. Re: user-friendly query forms?
              karenpeacock SupportEmployee

Hi

As well as the advice you've already had, a couple of other things that might be of interest:

You can either display the criteria as a grid or a list - I'm not sure what your users would prefer but this option is on the last page of the query setup so you can try this out perhaps.

You mention "box where they can type values in the third column".  If you are pulling through a criteria at the top level of the object then they will get a drop down values to pick from rather than having to type in the value.  So using Status as an example:

• If you pulled Status.Name onto the query criteria the user would need to type in the name of the status they require.
              • If you pull the top level of Status (don't expand Status just drag on the top level relationship) onto the query criteria the users will instead be presented with the list of possible status values when running the query.

Best wishes

Karen