1 Reply Latest reply on Dec 25, 2010 6:55 AM by zman

Setting up policies

jsiegrist Apprentice

Here is our vision: We would like to set up some software distribution policies to install a set of applications common to all machines on our domain. (Anti virus, Instant Messanger, things of that nature). Each piece of software I imagine will require its own policy.

Right now I have three questions/problems that are interconnected.

The easiest way I can think of to set this up would be to target our "Workstations" OU in active directory. Once we join a machine to the domain, we drop it in its designated Sub OU and it should get the software we want. Is there a better way to do this?

The "Workstations" OU has sub OU's underneath it. If I am targeting the root of that tree, will it also apply the policies to nodes of that tree? Or does that depend on how the query is designed?

Lastly, what happens to preexisting machines? If I remember correctly, if a machine had our instant messenger installed by hand for instance and not by LANDesk, won't LANDesk assume that the software needs to be installed since it did not install it? I imagine that would create all kinds of havoc.

Would I need to create a prequisite query that says if the instant messanger is in the software inventory, then don't install?

What else am I missing?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Setting up policies
          zman Master

Easiest way and most efficient way depends on your shop, requirements, user perceptions, etc...., however, I will offer some opeions.

The easiest way I can think of to set this up would be to target our  "Workstations" OU in active directory. Once we join a machine to the  domain, we drop it in its designated Sub OU and it should get the software we want. Is there a better way to do this?

You can target a workstation OU either by using a LDAP query or machine query using LANDesk inventory.  If you use a LDAP query using Directory Manager it will be a strict LDAP query and only apply to that specific OU and rely on LDAP calls and queries. This will work.

If you use a machine query based on Computer location, you can use LIKE operator that depending on your OU and sub OUs will pick all the machines in the parent and sub OUs.

In a standard distribution package, WITHOUT prereqs, LANDesk will try and install the application regardless of whether it is installed or not. You could create prereqs to stop this, however, if you want a controlled and managed environment, I would install your package regardless. This will keep you software licenses in check and keep everything standardized. One thing is to check and make sure the applications install on a clean machine and if it is already installed.

In regards to install application bundles, there are several theories:

1. Use Provisioning to install application bundles. http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-4648
          2. Scripting - Use a script to install several applications.
          3. Use Application dependencies. This can be very hard to troubleshoot.