2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2010 9:44 AM by mrspike

Reboot Option through LANDesk

Rookie

Is there a way that when we do a force reboot of machines through Landesk, it first saves all the open files and then force a reboot.

We are looking for this option so that the user dont loose any data if in case we force a reboot during any software dist or patch deployment.

• 1. Re: Reboot Option through LANDesk
          zman Master

You can add the request to this ER http://community.landesk.com/support/ideas/1567 however, I don't think this would be possible. Every application, and there are thousands, have separate and distinct ways to save their work. The only way I could see this happening is if the OS had a save api and every vendor used it.

Some options:

1. If applications support autosave turn it on.
          2. Communicate with the user community and let them know when the reboots are coming.
          3. Educate the user community to always save their work. System issues, power failures, etc... can also lead to data loss.
          • 2. Re: Reboot Option through LANDesk
            mrspike SSMMVPGroup

To add on to what ZMAN offered, I would suggest you use a reboot option (if using vulscan) that offers countdown clock to the users, say 24 - 72 hours and then force a reboot