1 2 Previous Next 18 Replies Latest reply on Feb 15, 2008 9:30 AM by Cedric FRANCOIS

HII OSD on DELL step from the begining

Cedric FRANCOIS Apprentice

Hello,

I try to deploy the same image to different DELL Workstation and Laptop : GX270 / 280 / 620 / 745 / 755 / 740 (with AMD CPU) and Latitude D600 / 610 / 620 / 630 but i don'"t manage to do it, i have blue screen, drivers  not deployed, etc ...

I make my first installation on 755 and tell it it was an ACPI Computer with F5 at the first installation, then i finsih the installation, install the driver, the software, make a sysprep, ghost it and then deploy it with sysprep option integration and drivers copy. But it never works good...

What are the good step, have i to install the driver on the first installaiton, what option to tell the sysprep, etc ...

Please, i read a lot of thread but i would like a step by step from the begining (and more about ACPi that i don't  undertstand)

Thanks

• 1. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
          Apprentice

Hey,

There is a really good article at DroppedPackets.org

http://www.droppedpackets.org/Members/jbuelens/hii-winpe.zip/view

check it out  =)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
            Apprentice

We are a Dell shop too. One thing about the 755 is see what mode you have the SATA conroller in. If it's in AHCI and you installed the drivers this may be the cause of your blue screen on other models. You need to make sure you are doing the BUILDMASSSTORAGE section in your sysprep.

If you are building the machine out and you want it to be hardware independant, I wouldn't recommend installing any drivers on your host image and concentrating on injecting them as part of the deployment process.

• 3. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
              Apprentice

We are putting all of our 755s into Legacy Mode for the Drives.   This makes it play better with everything else.

• 4. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
                Apprentice

Yeah, that's the way to go, we have also seen this on the D630's as well. I'm currently in the process of getting sysprep to build the mass storage section and try and make AHCI work, but having it in legacy mode for now is working fine.

• 5. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining

Ok all,  thanks for your answers.

I have already put 755 on legacy drive, but what i want is to know what are the step from he first install

• Is the ACPI mode needed, and which mode to choose i only get mono processors but i get amd to ?

• ACPI is only needed at the first installation or on each deployment with a sysprep option ?

• On my image i install several software from my network and all the patch from windows update (am i wrong ?) how can i do this if i don't install driver like Network drivers ?

• When my based installation is made i make a sysprep but which mode ? factory or resseller ? and the other option which one i must check ?

• After deploying image, i inject sysprep and copy driver, it works good but the driver don't install themselves ...

• Why do i get a bluescreen on 740 if i have made a ACPI installation ?

I know  the jan buelens doc, which is great but it doesn't explain the way to make a based installation with compatibity with HII, only explain how to inject driver on the deployed installation

Thanks

• 6. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
                    Apprentice

Is the ACPI mode needed, and which mode to choose i only get mono processors but i get amd to ?

This is what we use.

ACPI is only needed at the first installation or on each deployment with a sysprep option ?

Not sure what you are asking

On my image i install several software from my network and all the patch from windows update (am i wrong ?) how can i do this if i don't install driver like Network drivers ?

We do the same

When my based installation is made i make a sysprep but which mode ? factory or resseller ? and the other option which one i must check ?

I run it from the command line sysprep  –reseal –mini

After deploying image, i inject sysprep and copy driver, it works good but the driver don't install themselves ...

This really depends on how you are trying to inject the Drivers, there are 2 main methods. 1.  Manually enter each folder into the sysprep file. 2.  Use the Ldprep tool to scan a specified directory and the info gets entered into the registry. What are you trying?

Why do i get a bluescreen on 740 if i have made a ACPI installation ?

My guess would be a driver - I've had new chipsets on Nics (ones that we are currently using) need new drivers.  If you tried using the old driver it would BSOD.

• 7. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
                      Apprentice

Hey,

Make sure you HAL is ACPI when building the Image and that you are building the Mass storage drivers. If you just build mass storage and dont add the Intel SATA drivers it wont work.

Below is what my sysprep's massstorage section looks like

c:\drivers\sata\ would be were your INF files are located.

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iastor.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2922&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_282A&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2829&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2822&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2821&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2682&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2681&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C3&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C6&CC_0104 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_27C1&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

PCI\VEN_8086&DEV_2653&CC_0106 = "c:\drivers\sata\iaahci.inf"

You can figure out your Hardware ID's in device manager. Are you using the vbs script to update the sysprep file with the correct hal?

Hope this helps.

• 8. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
                        Apprentice

Do you have any GX150's? Those have a plain ACPI HAL and that is what you should use to build the image. So if you have one, that'd be the easiest machine to build your machine on. Then in your sysprep file, if you are just deploying to an ACPI machine, leave it alone. If you are going to a acpi uniprocessor or multiprocessor this is where you need to update the UpdateHal section in the sysprep image.

Here is a handy article with some vbscrips that you can run during your winpe deployment to automatically detect the hal of the machine and update your sysprep file

http://www.myitforum.com/articles/15/view.asp?id=8997

Just keep in mind if you're going to do this, you need to put WSH into your WinPE image.

• 9. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
                          Apprentice

The article at Dropped Packets has an already built VB script for updating the HAL and explains how to add the wscripting engine into the image.

• 10. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
                            Rookie

We're an all Dell shop as well.  We have D410's, D500's, D505's, D510's, D520's, D620's, D630's, Optiplex 280's, Optiplex 620's, Optiplex 745's, and Optiplex 755's.  We have one image for all of them.  We use Dell's ImageDirect to get the HII.

Since the image is done at Dell (we never upload images, just applications that we want in the image, currently that is IE7 and the .NET Framework 3.5).  All we do is download the image (which includes Office 2003 currently as that is provided by Dell using a transform from us), extract the ghost image, convert it to a Microsoft WIM, and place it on our server that has the Landesk PXE service, of course all of our machines are delivered from Dell with this image so they don't waste precious time downloading a 2GB image.  During the PE boot (only for machines we are reimaging) we detect the model with a vbscript and inject the Dell provided driver cab file (which is model specific) into C:\Dell\IB and Dell's image direct agent finishes the install complete with HAL detection.

What we are working out right now is using a WIM image file to precache our standard apps like Acrobat Reader, Quicktime, Flash, etc and upload that to Dell on a fairly regular basis to keep new machines current and have the WIM image expand at the Dell factory so when they receive the Landesk policies for those standard apps they are already cached and install much more quickly.  We have this working with provisioning for reimaging machines (love provisioning for reimaging), just not for factory delivered machines.

While i'm not impressed with how long it takes the machines to finish the Dell prep on site (usually takes about 25 minutes once the machine is turned on).  It certainly is painless from a maintenance standpoint.  Even with the D630 & Optiplex 755, it was cake injecting the driver into PE for reimaging and since Dell does all the testing and driver approval at their factory we don't have to worry much about the machine not booting properly.  They will also set the proper BIOS items such as boot order, Wake on LAN, enable PXE, BIOS Password.  Of course we can do it in the image using their DCCU utility.  I'm happy, but everyone has different needs, just thought I'd mention this.

• 11. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining

Ok thanks you all.

@[~2661] :

- for second point i mean does all my deployment image need a sysprep with computertype = ACPI section if the first install has been made on ACPI mode (F5 at the beginning)

- ok for sysprep, for the driver i will use ldprep but i need to make a WinPE deployment while i actually use DOS.

@ sevich

I got A GX150, so i make a new installation on it and specified a ACPI installation, i will try after it works fine on other computers, And best of all i didn't need to install any driver manually all are well detected by windows.

@[~2161]

ok thanks i will watch, i was having an old version of the documentation

@ fowlerr

I didn't know ImageDirect, i try to register to see what is it exactly, thanks for information.

@all

Another question, i install all windows update KB, can i delete all the C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB* folders ?

• 12. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
                                Apprentice

You do not need to set computertype=ACPI

If you are sure you will not need to uninstall the patches from add remove programs, you can delete C:\Windows\$NTUninstallKB*

What version of LanDesk are you using?  Are you able to Use WinPE? It is much faster than DOS imaging, our image went from 45 minutes to an hour down to 4 to 5 minutes in WinPE.  The only thing that we changed is moving to WInPE (I grabbed the Images with the DOS imaging tool)

• 13. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining

Ok thanks   

I am using LDMS8.8

Yes i know  WinPE is better that's why i want to try it, but i am experiencing my first problem with winpe,  it tells me it doesn't found network drivers for my  DELL 755  so i add the network driver but it doesn't work too

• 14. Re: HII OSD on DELL step from the begining
                                    Apprentice

Did you add the correct Driver through the console and then redeploy your PXE Rep?  I know the 755s have a couple different NICs depending on which CPU you get and we installed the wrong one at first (oops).

1 2 Previous Next