5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 6, 2011 5:19 PM by cyberdemon

Windows 7 image reboots constantly after being deployed to newer machine

cyberdemon Apprentice

Windows 7, OSD, LD 8.8sp4, ImageX, DPInst.exe, unattend.xml, dpinst.xml, sysprep

(i think i covered every possible search variable)

(rant: why is it I can never find what I'm looking for? I need some Google 101 search training or LANDesk forum 101 training)

Ok, enough rant. I'm working with above mentioned tools/methods/setup.

I've built my 2 images on older hardware (Windows 7 32bit = Latitude D610 single core processor, IDE drive) (Windows 7 64bit = Latitude D620 Core 2 duo, SATA drive)

I'm deploying my image to a DELL Precision T1500 desktop (intel CORE I5, SATA drive ***i don't know if SATA I, or SATA II****) and my deployment of the image works fine. It boots up momentarily to the swirly pretty lights that eventually would make a standard Windows logo (gotta love that description!). but it never gets to make the pretty logo.

right there is where it reboots. consistently.

this image is sysprep'd once in audit mode - NO unattend.xml file yet (this will come later after I get beyond this problem).

Why doesn't it boot? It works fine on an equivalent machine (example: HP 6910p laptop), but doesn't want to boot with this "newer" hardware.

Yes, I have toy'd with the ATA, AHCI setting in the BIOS (no change).

Please, does anyone have any ideas what I could be possibly missing?

• 1. Re: Windows 7 image reboots constantly after being deployed to newer machine
          ahe Expert

Did you edit the XML files manually (with Editor) or with the LANDesk/MS tools?

I've had a similar problem after I edited the unattend.xml file with Windows 7 editor... (Notepad on Windows XP made no trouble...)

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Windows 7 image reboots constantly after being deployed to newer machine
            cyberdemon Apprentice

I created/edit the unattend.xml file with WSIM the Microsoft tool. I wasn't too keen on copying/using someone else's .xml example or what not. I wanted to make sure I was following the right way to do it.

right now the image works fine with my "older" machines: HP 6910p, Dell D620, Dell D610.

If I could just get another "newer" model to test this on, maybe I could narrow it down.

• 3. Re: Windows 7 image reboots constantly after being deployed to newer machine
              smittman Apprentice

I did find a workaround for my problem, but it causes another issue.  To stop the Blue Screen I had to modify the registry:

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\MSAHCI\Start = 0

HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\IaStorV\Start = 0

The issue that I have now is that the Windows Security comes up during the setup and states that I am trying to load a driver without a digital signature.  It does let me Install the Driver Anyway.  If I can get rid of this warning, then I may be in business. :-)

• 4. Re: Windows 7 image reboots constantly after being deployed to newer machine
                cyberdemon Apprentice

hmmm, when I get a chance (if ever), I'll look poke around that area from your BSOD. I'm not getting a BSOD, but i'm sure it's the equivalent since it just reboots. I'm not sure if it's HD, Video, or some other hardware driver causing it yet.

but thanks for sharing what you've seen.

• 5. Re: Windows 7 image reboots constantly after being deployed to newer machine
                  cyberdemon Apprentice

So, I had the chance to install on a "newer" laptop, that being an HP EliteBook 8440p, and it doesn't go into a constant reboot. I set the HD to emulate SATA IDE, and i'll go back and test/try AHCI next, but for now...it looks like my image can work with a newer technology laptop. So, this may be only related to this desktop I tried it on.

Since I only had one "newer" machine to test with at the time, that being a Desktop Dell Precision T1500, I was skeptical of it working on newer machines. Only one other newer so far, so I'm sure I'll have others to try this on down the road.

I have with some success, created an image on an old Dell Latitude D610 latitude and deployed it to these different models so far.

Dell Latitude D610

Dell Latitude D620

Dell Optilplex GX270

HP Workstation XW4200

HP NoteBook 6910p

HP NoteBook NC2400

IBM ThinkPad T60

and now a new HP EliteBook 8440p laptop.

While I haven't solved every PC issue (that being the original Desktop T1500 by Dell), I'm confortable with closing out this question as "answered", as I really will just either dig deeper into the BIOS, or I may do the trick "image the HD in another machine, and before it reboots, shut off and put the drive in the box" or maybe the suggestion from Scott M, might be an avenue...i just don't know. In the end, I could always just create a "one off" in this particular case.

I appreciate the feedback, either way.