1 Reply Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 8:17 AM by DavHay

Precaching Office 2010 Install

Apprentice

I'm looking to do a precached installation of Office 2010 here in our environment. Basically, what the goal is, week 1 deploy the cached install files to the machine, then in week two send a task that will install the files locally from the cache. I have set my tasks up to do this and the precaching works just fine however when I run the local installation scheduled task that basically says "C:\MSOCache\All Users\{90140000-0011-0000-0000-0000000FF1CE}-C\setup.exe" it just sits there as an Active Task and never does anything. Note: The file batch file does get written to the SDMCACHE.

Now my belief is that isn't working due to UAC. I must tell you I am running Windows 7.

Any one have any suggestions and yes... a network installation works just fine.

• 1. Re: Precaching Office 2010 Install
          Apprentice

Hi Paul

Although we dont split ur install over two different periods, we do copy all the office 2010 files to c:\temp\ folder and then install using a autoit script - i dont see why this wouldnt work split into your method.

If you think of the tasks that are needed:

Tasks

1) Put all setup files into a folder on your appshare

2) create an admin (msp) file by running the setup.exe /admin command (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179097.aspx)

3) save the msp file in the updates folder of the office2010 installation

4) copy all install files from appshare to c:\temp\office2010

5) run c:\temp\office2010pro\setup.exe (no need for anything else as it looks into the updates folder automatically)

6) delete the local cache (remove c:\temp\office2010)

And then logically split them:

Function 1 (Tasks 1 to 4) - Copy setup files from appshare to local temp directory - 1st batch file\autoit script to do this.

Function 2 (Tasks 5 and 6) - Install Office and remove local temp directory - 2nd batch file\autoit script to do this.

Hope this helps

Dave H