8 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2013 7:25 AM by LANDave

Software deployment stuck in Active state

Asraf Radzi Apprentice

Hi all,

I had configured and deployed an .exe file to a computer. But the status of the deployment on the Schedule task window is stuck in Active.

When i check on the targeted computers, the file is already located at sdmcache folder but and I can see the .exe file at Windows task manager but the .exe but nothing happen on the computers.

The LDMS version is 9.0 with SP2.

• 1. Re: Software deployment stuck in Active state
          Rookie

If you see the executable 'running' in the taskmanager on clients, I can almost guarantee you that the program is waiting for some kind of userinput.

Try logging on to one of the clients as administrator, start a 'system' console to exactly mimic the landesk behaviour, and launch the executable directly to see what happens. (system-console: c:\programfiles\landesk\ldclient\localsch.exe /exe=cmd.exe, wait for it to pop a new console)

• 2. Re: Software deployment stuck in Active state
            Asraf Radzi Apprentice

I found out that when I configure the software package (Distribution package - properties > Account) to use LocalSystem account, the .exe file will only appear at Windows task manager but when I configure to Current user's account, the .exe file installation process will start (for e.g, click Next to start installation).

Is there anyway that I can configure/troubleshoot the LocalSystem account??

• 3. Re: Software deployment stuck in Active state
              mrspike SSMMVPGroup

If the current user does not have admin rights, this will not work.

Using  Local System is best.   You most likley need to add a command switch in  the "Install Options" page to get it to install silently.

Depending on the .exe you are using it could vary from -s, -S, -silent, /silent  etc...

You need to find out what that swith is.

You can try running the .exe from a command line on a test box and use /? as a switch

Also, you can google the app name plus "silent install" or look in the docs to see what you need to use

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Software deployment stuck in Active state
                Asraf Radzi Apprentice

Its work when i add the .exe switch. The .exe successfully deploy and install on the targeted device.

But why is the .exe does not pop up the installation process screen if I am not add the switch and use the LocalSystem account? The only way to make it pop up without the switch, is to use Current User account but as it mention by James, it has limitation if we using the Current User account. I have done on couples of .exe file but still got the same result.

• 5. Re: Software deployment stuck in Active state
                  Rookie

Some application packages simply don't like to be run as LocalSystem.  It all depends on how the app was packaged, what package tool they used, and what type of settings it puts on the system.

• 6. Re: Software deployment stuck in Active state
                    mrspike SSMMVPGroup

asraf,

LANDesk is trying to help you by hiding UI from the user during installations.

Most times, you do not want to pop up UI to the users as they do not always know what to click on, let alone leaving them wondering if they have been hit by a virus, thus, silent installations is almost always what you want.

As a best practice, you should always try to find and test your deployment packages to install silently and if need be, to select the settings or options as you the admin / company, prefer.

You can go into the delivery methods and create one that has "Show All UI" the the user and use it.  An example where you would want that is say for Acrobat Pro, say you have the source media on a share, and your users get a license code and need to install the software but do not have admin rights, you can have a software portal task (or you could push as needed to a system) with a delivery method that shows all UI, that way when it comes times to input the license, they can.

• 7. Re: Software deployment stuck in Active state
                      Rookie

Asraf,

Have you been able to find the solution? I am seeing the same issues with multiple packages. Some machines are fine, and some display behavior you see.

• 8. Re: Software deployment stuck in Active state
                        LANDave SupportEmployee

Make sure that the user that the Scheduler service is set to log on as is also a member of the Core Server's local administrators group.