14 Replies Latest reply on Jan 15, 2010 8:49 AM by phoffmann

Office 2007 deployment question

Apprentice

Hello all,

I'm running into an issue while trying to deploy office 2007 on a test machine.  I'm deploying via a web share, using a standard download from source push without any specail bandwidth options.  If there is no previous version of office installed, 2007 installs without issue and the task completes successfully.  If I install, say 2003, on the test machine, and then try to deploy 2007 I run into a strange issue: the previous version is uninstalled and 2007 installs ok, but then the machine reboots and the task comes back as a failure with this message: "The requested operation completed successfully.  The system will be restarted so the changes can take effect."  This happens wether I have "reboot if necessary" checked off in the delivery method, or "never reboot".  The install itself seems fine, I can launch all office programs without issue.  I just want to avoid this error so when I have to deploy it to our users I'll know for sure it installed ok.  I'd also like to be able to supress the reboot after install.

I have 8.7 sp4.  Any ideas?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
          Apprentice

Did you run setup.exe /admin on your office 2k7 package to customize it? Where there any reboot options in there? I can't remember if there was or not.

We've been deploying Office with the upgrade from 2003 and haven't run into this.

• 2. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
            Apprentice

Hey Sevich, sorry I forgot to mention that, I did create a .msp file.  I don't think there were any reboot options in there.  I'll check again.

Thanks.

• 3. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
              Apprentice

I'm guessing that it might be going back to the source files for office 2003 to complete the upgrade and somewhere in the calling to there, your reboot supression is getting ignored. I saw this during some office 2000 patching when it needed the original product cd, our machines would just reboot even though we said not to. Do you know if your office 2003 setup files are cached on the machine or do you delete those?

• 4. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                Apprentice

The office setup files are still in the sdmcache.  I double-checked the Office Customization Tool and didn't see anything about rebooting or not.

• 5. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                  Apprentice

More specifically I mean when you originally installed office 2003 did you leave the cached install files for office on the machine or did you remove them? This is different than the sdmcache directory.

• 6. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                    Apprentice

Hmmm, I'm not sure to be honest.  I haven't deleted anything manually.  Does the installer automatically cache those files?  I just did a fresh install of Office 2003 using a package from a web share so wouldn't it's install source be from the sdmcache?

• 7. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                      Rookie

A little off topic, but is there a way to supress reboot when distributing a package using the schelduled distribution task..... Im using package builder and there is no option when creating a package to supress the install after completion.  are there options in the distribution task for this?

• 8. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                        Employee

It's in the distribution method.

• 9. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                          Rookie

Anyone else have a fix for this?

We are getting the exact same error, yet office 2007 installs perfectly.

Using 8.8 SP1

Thanks

• 10. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                            Apprentice

I was never able to fix the way LANDesk reports the task as failed, however I was able to supress the reboot by using the config.xml file along with the msp file.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc179195.aspx

The Setting element also supports the SETUP_REBOOT property. SETUP_REBOOT initiates a reboot after installation and uses the following syntax:

<Setting Id="SETUP_REBOOT" Value="value" />

where value can be one of the following:

• AutoAlways--Always initiate a reboot. Do not prompt the user.

• Always--Always prompt for a reboot at the end of setup.

• IfNeeded--Prompt for a reboot at the end of setup if setup requires a reboot. (Default)

• AutoIfNeeded--Initiate a reboot if setup requires a reboot. Do not prompt the user.

• Never--Never initiate or prompt for a reboot.

Here is the command I used in the exe task.

/adminfile "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\sdmcache\packages\Microsoft\Office\Office 2007\Updates\Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2007.MSP" /config "c:\program files\landesk\ldclient\sdmcache\packages\Microsoft\Office\Office 2007\ProPlus.WW\config.xml"

the xml file was also the only way I could figure out to fully supress the installation gui.

In the end, I opted to force a reboot, because it seems like there were less problems.  I went the route of allowing the user to supress the install for 1 hour up to three times.

• 11. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                              Rookie

I am having the same problem.

The upgrade does complete successfully removing Office 2003, and installing 2007, I have it set to reboot when the package is complete however on every machine that upgrades once and Office program is opened Office configures itself and then needs a reboot.  Is there anyway to have this included in installation so that there is not another step at after the installation appears to complete?

• 12. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                                Employee

Everyone with this problem:

This is usually an indication of a non-zero exit code.  More information about that can be found in various locations, including here:

Re: Office 2007 Deployment - Task showing failed even though successful

Look in your log files and see what exit code is being returned.  The document linked right there tells you how to find that.  Usually it's 3010 in the scenario where Office is uninstalling 03 and installing 07 in its place.

• 13. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                                  Rookie

Hi All,

I got this message from support.

The reason why we can not suppress the reboot from LANDesk is because:

LANDesk can only suppress the reboot if the return code from the installation packge can be recognized by sdclient.exe. For example if the package returns a 3010 error code (reboot required) and the deliver method is set to never reboot then it will not reboot.

However, if the package calls a reboot action independently of sdclient then LANDesk has no way of suppressing that reboot. For example, if the installation package call poweroff.exe /shutdown from a batch file the machine will always reboot regardless of the setting in the delivery method. The only way that LANDesk can control if a machine reboots or not is if the package does not call a reboot in its execution.

In this scenario, the Office 2007 installation package calls a reboot and it does not returns a 3010 result code(which tells us to reboot), so we can not suppress it.

Thanks,

• 14. Re: Office 2007 deployment question
                                    phoffmann SupportEmployee

You'll be glad (I hope?) to hear that 9.0 doesn't have this problem - you can create custom return codes (so even Office's 3010 status could be defined as a success, for instance, without a reboot).

For general infos (and there's a LOT of it) on 9.0, have a look at the technical docs here:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7423

For mapped error codes, this is the thing for you specifically:

- http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-7489

Hope you'll have more fun then (and yes, this is a new feature to 9.0 only, it's been quite a bit of work, but support feels that this should make a lot of people's lives easier) .

- Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead