7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 12, 2011 6:23 AM by mrpie

PXE Representative and Windows 7/Server 2008

Rookie

Hello,

I'm runnning LDMS version 9 SP2. I can't get any of my clients to boot to a PXE representative deployed to Windows 7 (32bit) or Server 2008. Jut deployed using the normal script, shows up as a representative in the console but on boot I get 'No boot file found' error.As far as I can tell from the documentation I've seen, this should work.

Am I wrong or is there something I've missed? 

Thanks

Gavin

• 1. Re: PXE Representative and Windows 7/Server 2008
          Rookie

Gavin,

Try the following:

• On the PXE Rep. make sure all pxe and LanDESK services are running.
          • Make sure your client is on the same subnet.
          • If your imaging a Dell, I've found that some later BIOS have problems with this feature and have needed to roll back to an earlier version.

I hope this helps,

Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: PXE Representative and Windows 7/Server 2008
            Jason SupportEmployee

Gavin,

If it is a bios issue as Scott mentioned have a look at this How to hide LinuxPE, WinPE, or DOS PE PXE Boot Options from the F8 Menu

Here is another article that address common PXE issues Error: PXE-E74 bad or missing PXE menu and or prompt information

Jason

• 3. Re: PXE Representative and Windows 7/Server 2008
              ahe Expert

Hello,

are you use subnetting/vlans?

Are your clients and the PXE resides in the same subnet? If no, you've to add a DHCP helper address for your PXE, then your clients will find your PXE.

You can check it, if you move your client and PXE in the same subnet.

Regards

ahe

• 4. Re: PXE Representative and Windows 7/Server 2008
                Rookie

Hello,

Thanks for all the comments. We do use VLANs but the PXE representative is on the same subnet as the client. We are using Lenovo machines but the BIOS isn't the problematic version and I'm not receiving an error message to that effect.

I have redeployed the PXE Agent and I have managed to get a bit further. The client obtains an IP address successfully and also correctly identifies the IP address of the representative. I get the F8 prompt and the full list of options. If I select an option (particularly Win PE menu) I get the error 'TFTP download failed'.

I found the following article which describes this error (http://community.landesk.com/support/docs/DOC-9443), but I don't have my old 8.8 server name in the preferred server list and deleting the preferred server dat files doesn't make a difference. Does this point to a corrupt installation of the PXE representative? Is there something I should do to recreate the scripts that deploy it (I don't think they have been altered since we first installed LDMS 9).

Thanks

Gavin

• 5. Re: PXE Representative and Windows 7/Server 2008
                  ahe Expert

Hello Gavin,

PE 1.x:

Does a pe boot file exist?

"c:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\peboot.img"

Do the boot files exist in "c:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\wpemenu\"

ntldr

startrom.0

winnt.sif

PE 2.x:

Does the directory "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\boot" exist?

With Files:

BCD, boot.sdi, boot.wim

Does a directory exist (normally on LDMS 9 this should be "c:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE\System\images\x86pc\undi\wpemenu\")

with the files bootmgr.exe and startrom.0?

If the files of PE 2.x  not exist uninstall PXE manually from the PXE server and reinstall it again from ocre.

Uninstall string:

MsiExec.exe /X{F238CE99-6614-4072-9D20-1D2FA7ED951A}

• Reboot

To be sure some checks:

• If exist the registry entries, delete them after uninstallation:

HKLM\Software\Intel\PXE

• If the directory "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\PXE" still exist after uninstallation, delete it.

• Check if the file osdrep.msi exist below "C:\Program Files\LANDesk\ldclient" and delete it...

• Reinstall PXE

One additional remark: On Windows 2008 Server MS changed the behaviour of the firewall and the "organization" of open ports...

did you check if the following UDP ports be open on the server and on the firewall:

Port 69 (TFTP)

Port 4011 (PXE)

Regards

ahe

• 6. Re: PXE Representative and Windows 7/Server 2008
                    Rookie

Hi ahe,

Thanks for that info, the files are all there on the representative.

Having gone through all that I've subsequently tried it on another two Windows 7 machines. Third time lucky! So I am working now. This may point to one specific model of Lenovo desktop we have (M58e).

Although I should find out why, I only have a small number of these desktops so I'm happy to work around for now.

Thanks

Gavin

• 7. Re: PXE Representative and Windows 7/Server 2008
                      Rookie

Sorry, to clarify the problem was with a Lenovo M58e desktop acting as the PXE representative. That model is fine to boot to WinPE using a different mdel as PXE representative.

Thanks

Gavin