7 Replies Latest reply on Feb 14, 2008 1:50 PM by Jared Barneck

Profile migration between different managed device names

Rookie

How can one migrate a given profile to a managed device who's name is different to the name which the profile was captured on?

I am new to LANDesk so please forgive me if the answer to this question is obvious.

Presume I have a managed device called computerA and I capture the existing profiles on it to the designated network share.

Now suppose I want to restore the profiles that I captured on computerA to a managed device called cumputerB. This will fail.

The way I see it working in the background is that when I schedule the restore script and start the script with computerB as the target device, the LANDesk profile tool looks in the network share for a folder (which contains the sub-folders and .cab files) for a folder by the name of computerB. Of course it will not find this folder. Thus the script will fail. Other than renaming the captured profile's folder to the name of teh target device, is there an efficient way to do this?

Also, what if I only want to migrate one specific profile (like the local administrator) to a new managed device, and not ALL the profiles that were captured on a managed device. How would I do that?

I am using LDMS 8.7 SP4 with TVT

Any help is much appreciated.

Daniel

• 1. Re: Profile migration between different managed device names
          rcronje Apprentice

Just to add to this discussion. I have done an advance edit on a Restore Profile script and have found (what I think is) the culprit:

REMEXEC8=<qt/>%LDMS_CLIENT_DIR%\LDProfile.exe<qt/> /put CABPATH="
          server\Images\sourcemachine\%Computer - Device Name%" DEFAULTPASSWORD="108273666B26006F74B5863743C", STATUS

If my understanding of script processing is correct then the token %Computer - Device Name% will be replaced by the TARGET device's name.

Is this a bug? I don't think %Computer -Device Name% should even be there.

(Tested on LDMS 8.7 SP4 with no TVT)

• 2. Re: Profile migration between different managed device names
            phoffmann SupportEmployee

The part about "%Computer - Device Name%" is using "runtime substition" from CUSTJOB.

You can read up on this by looking into the documention for the pre-existing "inventoryscanner"-script (it has its own section) - and you can use pretty much any inventory value.

In this case, we use it put the files into a sub-directory thats named after the client-node - and is thus unique (and will automatically be restored from the same one).

Why should this be a problem?

Paul Hoffmann

LANDesk EMEA Technical Lead.

• 3. Re: Profile migration between different managed device names

danseb2001 - the "problem" in this scenario is actually somewhat linked to my previous post about runtime-substitution.

Profile Migration was developed as part of a re-imaging process where essentially the following thought-process would hold true:

1. MachineA is "getting old" and needs to be replaced and/or just re-imaged.

2. MachineA is getting its profile backed up (which must be dynamically done into a automatically generated directory - since this has to scale). Thus - we used the client's OS-name to uniquely identify it.

3. Either physical MachineB is then imaged (and gets given MachineA's name) or MachineA is being re-imaged, and retains its old name

4. Once the OS is up, we then continue to restore the profile back (again - needs to be dynamically determinable...).

This of course will break if you're trying a "MachineNameA -> MachineNameB" transfer. You CAN do the transfer, except you'll have to edit the restore script to point to the right profile.

This could lead to interesting problems if you want this to scale ... hmm - how many machines are you (roughly) intending on migrating (to different hostnames, that is) ?

Paul Hoffmann

• 4. Re: Profile migration between different managed device names
                rcronje Apprentice

I see what you are getting at Paul. It is setup like this to handle large scale "refreshes". It wouldn't make sense to target multiple machines with the same profile.

The only problem that I see arising is in the case where the new machine hasn't got the same name as the source machine (including the service tag or model etc. in the device name). How you you advise handling this situation?

Cheers,

Ryan

• 5. Re: Profile migration between different managed device names

I've been thinking about that.

The only way I can think of doing this (in a way that scales) is to run a batch-file which uses as input a text-file you're pre-filled with old machine-names, and essentially replace the runtime-substitution token with a static value - and save the batch file under a specific name.

I.e.:

InputFile "MachineNames.txt"

Basic Script file is "RestorePorfile.ini"

... RUN BATCH FILE ...

Batch file saves new copies of the scipt as "NewMachineA_RestoreProfile.ini", "NewMachineB_RestoreProfile.ini" and so on.

Batch replaces the runtime substitution token as "OldMachineA_ProfileLocation" in "NewMachineA_RestoreProfile.ini"

Batch replaces the runtime substitution token as "OldMachineB_ProfileLocation" in "NewMachineB_RestoreProfile.ini"

Not very pretty, but at the moment the only idea I can come up with which scales, since your main challenge is that you're dealing with things that cannot be dynamically used (as your hostname changes). Pretty sure there's other solutions to do it as well, but that's probably what I'd look at, at this point in time, with the limited time I had to think about it.

Paul Hoffmann

• 6. Re: Profile migration between different managed device names
                    Rookie

Many companies (if not most) use asset numbers to name their computers.

Imagine the following scenario:

John Smith has a old desktop PC with an asset

number of 1515, which makes the computer's host name DT1515 (DT for

desktop). He gets an new laptop with asset number 2567, making the

hostname, and also managed device name LT2567.

The profile captured from his old machine in saved in a folder called DT1515 in the share
                    coreserverName\profileImages

However

if you try to restore that profile to the new managed device, LT2567,

your script will fail as the profile migration utility will not find a

folder called LT2567 in
                    coreserverName\profileImages. Makes sense.

What

I found one can do as a workaround is to rename the folder containing the captured data to

the name of the new managed device, then when the profile migration tool looks for a folder with the name of the target device, it will find it. Also not very

tidy, but it does seem to work.

What is also annoying is that one

cannot just restore one user profile from the captured data. For a new machine, or even a re-built one, who would want to restore every single user that ever logged on to a cumputer, including admin accounts, service accounts etc.?

The best profile migration tool I've ever seen is still the User State Migration Tool (in XP's accessories)

I actually have a few more grivances with profile migration, I will post these separatly.

Thanks for the input though guys, I understand the tool's capabilities (and limitations) better now at least.

• 7. Re: Profile migration between different managed device names
                      Jared Barneck SupportEmployee

I found one can do as a workaround is to rename the folder containing the captured data to

the name of the new managed device, then when the profile migration tool looks for a folder with the name of the target device, it will find it. Also not very

tidy, but it does seem to work.

Our scripts are very editable and you could change the capture script to name the folder what ever you want.  Right click on the script and choose "Advanced Edit".  We call %Computer - Device Name% but that doesn't mean you cannot call some other database variable.  Any Value in inventory can be called with the same syntax. If the machine is new, you may have a hard time using a database value as the old machine will have different DB values.  If the machine is the same, you are just upgrading the Operating System or reimaging, but changing the name, by all means, use a different Database variable such as %Computer - Network - NIC Address%

What is also annoying is that one cannot just restore one user profile from the captured data. For a new machine, or even a re-built one, who would want to restore every single user that ever logged on to a cumputer, including admin accounts, service accounts etc.?

You can do this, you just cannot do it with a script. You have to use user initiated.  Have you created a User Initiated executable?