4 Replies Latest reply on Jan 14, 2011 11:58 AM by Laszlo

Software Distribution from Provisioning Template Fails when using UNC

Laszlo Apprentice

Created a provisioning template that contains a software distribution action, that package is setup using UNC and the delivery method on the schedule task (template) set to install from source. The provisioning action fails. Setting the same SW Distribution package into a scheduled task again install from source, install successfully. Has anyone been able to install from source (a executable package) using UNC using a prov. template?

Thanks

• 1. Re: Software Distribution from Provisioning Template Fails when using UNC
          Mark2063 Apprentice

While we don't use install from source in our set up, we are a extreame provisioning shop, we use download and then install for everything.  One thing we found with the help of te LD provisioing engineers is that provisioning uses the first listed Policy delivery method when it does software distribution.  We created one called 1Provisioning that cut our all the wait times.  If you wanted to do all your software dist. as run from source I think you could just add those settings to a Policy that is named to be listed first.

Hope that helps,

Mark

• 2. Re: Software Distribution from Provisioning Template Fails when using UNC
            Laszlo Apprentice

Thanks. If I understand correct our policy is set that way. I may have the root cause.....

Additional Info: In testing using a service that runs as System I can duplicate the error which appears to be permissions but is not. The local system can access a share premissioned the same on another server without issue. The difference is   Share the works is on a Server 2003 R2 while the one that fails is on a Server 2008 R2.

Potential Solution: I noticed that the failing workstation had a pending hotfic from our WSUS Server "Client side extensions...." I installed the hotfix which did not require a reboot and it failed still from the 2008 R2 share. I rebooted and now the test completed correctly.

Currently running thru a provisioning test to verify and will post the results.

Thanks

• 3. Re: Software Distribution from Provisioning Template Fails when using UNC
              Laszlo Apprentice

Test Failed still. So I reran my local test again the service access the share failed to connect. But since the service is set to automatic startup I reboot and again success with that local service. So I believe the permissions are correct but may have a 2008 R2 Share issue.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

• 4. Re: Software Distribution from Provisioning Template Fails when using UNC
                Laszlo Apprentice

ISSUE RESOLVED: The casue was a faulty SPN recored that was pointing to the incorrect DNS suffix due to an internal configuration change. Once the correct SPn was added Provisionig Software Distribution actions from UNC worked like a charm.

Regards