7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 27, 2011 1:51 AM by afrogers

Process reminders that use a reference list

Apprentice

Hi

We had a requirement to be able to send a different reminder message (specifically for our resolution notifications) in our processes based on the customer. Initially I had thought this would work best with a flag on the customer record which forked the process according to a condition and two process reminders.

Then I started looking at making this a lot more flexible by creating a reference list that held a memo field with the text of the reminder message. By associating the reference list with the customer record, I've managed to build this so that you can select which message you want to send by setting the process reminder to use the runtime value that points to the customer record associated ref list memo value.

The result seems to be that I can create arbitrary messages as ref list entries, which include placeholders as they did before when the message was 'hard coded' into the process reminder. Just by associating the correct ref list entry with the customer, I can change the process reminder message text without having to take the process down. This makes life so much easier!!

My question is then are there any known or potential issues around doing this and has anyone else had any experience of using this approach to process reminders? Is this documented anywhere?

Thanks

Chris

• 1. Re: Process reminders that use a reference list
          dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

I've used much the same method for putting in headers and trailers for notifcation messages so that different support groups can have some form of personalisation without having to have different processes.  Works fine and like your suggestions, uses legitimate features of the apps.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Process reminders that use a reference list
            Apprentice

Thanks Dave

I just can't believe this hasn't been built before now - in our live system at the moment, if we need to change any of the process reminder templates, we need to take the system down to deactivate the process, which is major headache just to adjust some text as you can imagine!

I'll probably find that everyone else has been doing this for years!

Cheers

Chris

• 3. Re: Process reminders that use a reference list
              dmshimself ITSMMVPGroup

Depending on your release you can double click on reminders and some other actions and change the text while the system is live.  Worth keeping in mind for other things perhaps.

• 4. Re: Process reminders that use a reference list
                Apprentice

Yes, we're still on creaky old v7.2.4 R2 sadly, so this feature isn't available to us yet, but thanks for the tip!

Cheers

Chris

• 5. Re: Process reminders that use a reference list
                  afrogers Apprentice

Chris, if you could post some screenshots for doing this that would be great, we tried to achieve the same result by having some custom notification text on each customer record and then using copy settings but your method sounds simpler.

Can you also use your method for creating customer specific creation notifications for incidents created by Mail Manager?  We're had issues with Mail Manager auto-populating the customer value and therefore the above solution doesn't work.

Thanks

• 6. Re: Process reminders that use a reference list
                    Apprentice

Hi Anthony

I'm afraid we don't use mail manager to create calls, so I'm not sure about that one. Having said that, presumably if mail manager creates a call, it moves to the same status as other newly created calls, so you could generate a call creation email in the process. This is what we do for all calls to let clients know that their call has been logged.

As far as I know, you could use this method for any process reminders or assignments using the runtime placeholder for the customer associated value. Here are some screenshots of what I have in our DEV system:

20110126_ProcessReminderReflists01.JPG20110126_ProcessReminderReflists02.JPG
                    Customer object showing reflist object associationsThe Note Message object
                    20110126_ProcessReminderReflists03.JPG20110126_ProcessReminderReflists04.JPG
                    One of our process reminders showing the runtime value placeholder in the Details field which is the 'Body' attributeThe Note Message reflist window showing the title and the text of the message
                    20110126_ProcessReminderReflists05.JPG
                    The dropdowns on the Customer window showing selected messages for that customer

• 7. Re: Process reminders that use a reference list
                      afrogers Apprentice

Thanks Chris that's really helpful.