5 Replies Latest reply on Oct 9, 2013 10:53 AM by Otura

Creating a manual action that is associated with a business object and window, in a process

Rookie

I am trying to associate a new business object created, with a window I have also created, so that it pops up when a manual action occurs.

I have read some threads, but are still having issues getting it to work.

Can anyone detail the steps in order, that should be followed to achieve this?

• 1. Re: Creating a manual action that is associated with a business object and window, in a process
          Jenny.Lardh SupportEmployee

Hi Adrian,

When you create a new Business Object in Object Designer you will automatically have this Object show in Window Manager for you to create a window on.

To then assosiate this as an Action you will need to link this new Business Object as a Collection to the Object where you are planing on using it.

For example, if you are wanting to use this on an Incident you link the new Business Object as a Collection to the Incident Object.

After you have done this, when you then highlight the new Collection on the Incident Object in Object Designer, you will in your Action list see "Create Action". Click on this to create the Action that will be used in your Process.

This will then automatically be linked to the Windows that you are creating on the new Business Objects.

I hope this answers your question. For more information I would recommend the Designer Manual.

Kind Regards,

Jenny

• 2. Re: Creating a manual action that is associated with a business object and window, in a process
            Rookie

Jenny,

Your post is perfect for a collection related window (let´s say that you have an incident object that has a collection of "impacted offices" objects. you have your default window fo rhte impacted offcies object, which opens when you trigger the action.

But let´s say that I have an Incident object with its Incident default window, and that I want an action that opens a secondary (not default window) for the Incident object (i.e raise user details). How do you associate that non-default window to the Action?

My case is similar to the "Complete Mandatory Data" action in the Full Incident process. There the default window is the Incident window, but when you trigger the Complete Mandatory action, a non-default window should open (i.e. Mandatory Fields window). Where is that window associated to the action? in the ootb content this does not work, and the action pops-up the default window again (incident window).

Any clue on this?

• 3. Re: Creating a manual action that is associated with a business object and window, in a process
              John Stuart-Robson Employee

Hi Otura,

You can do this in process designer.  If you are on version 7.4 or later, drag a manual action instance on to your process and click New.  Specify a title for your new action instance and set the allow association with window to true.  You can now associate a view rule with this action as per your example of the complete mandatory data window.

If you are pre 7.4 you can achieve this by going into the busines objects tab in process designer, expand the required process object and module.  Click on the action folder and click New.  Repeat the steps as above.

Kind Regards

John

• 4. Re: Creating a manual action that is associated with a business object and window, in a process
                Expert

With things like Raise User Details often you don't have to do much.  If you add the Raise User object (not an individual attribute) on your Window (Incident), the label of the object at run time will be a link.  When using the Incident enter a username.  Then click on the label to the Raise User and it brings up the User Window.  Add all of the user attributes you want to see on the User Window and you will get what you want.

On the Incident Window, look at the Properties of the label and set "Show Hyperlink" to True to enable the ability to open the window from the link.  It' a neat little trick.

• 5. Re: Creating a manual action that is associated with a business object and window, in a process
                  Rookie

JSTUART,

I´m testing 7.6.

I´ll give a try to the view rule. I think that´s the point I was missing.

csimpson,

Thank you for the input... those were only examples, not real functionalities needed. The functionality I need is to open a given window from a manual action.

In any case your tips & tricks are always nice