7 Replies Latest reply on Jan 20, 2011 4:47 AM by CCrossfield

WebAccess: "Could not find configuration settings required to start Touchpaper services"

Apprentice

I'm trying to upgrade from Service Desk from 7.32 to 7.4.  In the "7.4 Upgrade Guide" (74Upgrade.pdf), I'm on page 17, step 1:

"Make sure that the System Setting Web Access URL is set to match the URL for your Web Desk installation."

So, what is the URL?

Looking at the wwwroot folder on the web server, I see two folders:  "WebDesk" and "WebAccess".  I would guess that Web Desk would be in the WebDesk folder, but it only has one file, SetWAVDir.InstallState, and a folder named Content (which has a subfolder with two javascript files.)  The WebAccess folder looks more promising because it has lots of file, including one named Default.aspx.  When I try to bring up the WebAccess URL in a browser, however, I get this:

There has been an unexpected error. Click Continue to return to the previous  page.

Could not find configuration settings required to start Touchpaper services.  Check configuration file.

at  Touchpaper.Framework.Licence.LicenceManager.GetLicenceBuilder() in C:\Dev\TPS  Code  Latest\Source\Touchpaper\Framework\Touchpaper.Framework.Licence\LicenceManager.cs:line  181
      at Touchpaper.Framework.Licence.LicenceCache.Load() in C:\Dev\TPS Code  Latest\Source\Touchpaper\Framework\Touchpaper.Framework.Licence\LicenceCache.cs:line  128
      at Touchpaper.Framework.Licence.LicenceCache.GetLicence() in C:\Dev\TPS  Code  Latest\Source\Touchpaper\Framework\Touchpaper.Framework.Licence\LicenceCache.cs:line  60
      at  Touchpaper.Web.Console.Components.AuthenticationFilter.IsLicensed(ActionExecutingContext  context) in  c:\Dev\swa\code\Touchpaper.Web.Console.Components\AuthenticationFilter.cs:line  82
      at  Touchpaper.Web.Console.Components.AuthenticationFilter.TryLogon(ActionExecutingContext  context) in  c:\Dev\swa\code\Touchpaper.Web.Console.Components\AuthenticationFilter.cs:line  97
      at  Touchpaper.Web.Console.Components.AuthenticationFilter.OnActionExecuting(ActionExecutingContext  filterContext) in  c:\Dev\swa\code\Touchpaper.Web.Console.Components\AuthenticationFilter.cs:line  44
      at  System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter  filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation)
      at  System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodFilter(IActionFilter  filter, ActionExecutingContext preContext, Func`1 continuation)
      at  System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeActionMethodWithFilters(ControllerContext  controllerContext, IList`1 filters, ActionDescriptor actionDescriptor,  IDictionary`2 parameters)
      at  System.Web.Mvc.ControllerActionInvoker.InvokeAction(ControllerContext  controllerContext, String actionName)
      Clicking on "Show details..." does nothing, but the details seem to already be showing.  The WebAccess folder has five different config files, but I wouldn't know what to look for.  Shouldn't the upgrade process have configured this file for me?  Is WebAccess even where I should be looking, or should there be something in the WebDesk folder?
        • 1. Re: WebAccess: "Could not find configuration settings required to start Touchpaper services"
          SupportEmployee

Hi Grant,

The default URL is on the second half of page 18 in the LDSDSetup.pdf manual:

"The default address is:
          http://servername/WebAccess/config.aspx
          where servername is the name of the Web Access server, and WebAccess is the
          name of the virtual directory you set up during the installation."

Calvin

• 2. Re: WebAccess: "Could not find configuration settings required to start Touchpaper services"
            Apprentice

Should I be concerned if there's no actual config.aspx file in the WebAccess directory?  The only .aspx file I have here is Default.aspx.  It sounds to me like the upgrade did not go very well, if files and configurations are missing.  Before the upgrade, the web server had a Touchpaper service that I needed to stop.  Now there isn't one listed in Services at all.

• 3. Re: WebAccess: "Could not find configuration settings required to start Touchpaper services"
              SupportEmployee

Hi Grant,

The config.apsx will not show in the directory in IIS however if you enter the URL into a browser the setup page will be displayed.

The services installed would depend on the options that are selected in the installer during the installation.

hope that helps

Calvin

• 4. Re: WebAccess: "Could not find configuration settings required to start Touchpaper services"
                SupportEmployee

the error above should be resolved after the setup in config.apsx is run.

Calvin

• 5. Re: WebAccess: "Could not find configuration settings required to start Touchpaper services"
                  Apprentice

When I try to load config.aspx, I get the error:

Server Error in '/WebAccess' Application. 

Access to the path  'e:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebAccess\Content\javascripts\resources.js' is denied.

Description: An unhandled exception occurred during the execution of the current web  request. Please review the stack trace for more information about the error and  where it originated in the code.

Exception Details: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path  'e:\inetpub\wwwroot\WebAccess\Content\javascripts\resources.js' is denied. 

ASP.NET is not authorized to access the requested resource. Consider  granting access rights to the resource to the ASP.NET request identity. ASP.NET  has a base process identity (typically {MACHINE}\ASPNET on IIS 5 or Network  Service on IIS 6 and IIS 7, and the configured application pool identity on IIS  7.5) that is used if the application is not impersonating. If the application is  impersonating via <identity impersonate="true"/>, the identity will be the  anonymous user (typically IUSR_MACHINENAME) or the authenticated request user. 

To grant ASP.NET access to a file, right-click the file in Explorer,  choose "Properties" and select the Security tab. Click "Add" to add the  appropriate user or group. Highlight the ASP.NET account, and check the boxes  for the desired access.

The file resources.js did not exist in that directory, so I copied it from virtual machine (which actually works) where I ran the install.  I still get the error message about permissions on the same file.

The consultants who set up Service Desk 7.32 installed it on the C drive then moved it E.  For the 7.4 upgrade, I moved the contents of wwwroot back to C (the install doesn't let you pick where the files go), ran the upgrade, and them moved them back to E.  I'm guessing that messed up the file permissions, but I don't see how to fix it.  A local user named IIS_IUSRS has access to the files.  I added the Network Service user.  Still doesn't work.

• 6. Re: WebAccess: "Could not find configuration settings required to start Touchpaper services"
                    Apprentice

How important is it to upgrade this web server vs wiping it out and starting over?  Web Access works on my test virtual machine, with the production database, using the default settings.  On our production server, the consultants installed Touchpaper in Touchpaper.Framework.Web.732 instead of the default of Touchpaper.Framework.Web, then moved it from a 40 GB C drive with 20 GB free to a 10 GB E drive with nothing else on it.  I don't see the logic in that.  Would I lose anything if I delete everything on the web server and starting over from scratch?  The database and apps are on separate servers.  All we have on this server is the web portion.

• 7. Re: WebAccess: "Could not find configuration settings required to start Touchpaper services"
                      SupportEmployee

Hi Grant,

Can you log this into a support case with your support provider to have a look through the installation?

Thanks

Calvin